Thread: Kali Linux through VMware not connecting via wireless USB card.

Post Kali Linux through VMware not connecting via wireless USB card.

Hello there. Kali is not connecting through the USB wirelss adapter (TL-WN722N, TP-Link) even though it recognizes it when I plug it in. The pop up notification reads: The specified device is claimed by another driver (ath9k_htc) on the host operating system. The device might be in use. To continue, the device will first be disconnected from its current driver" I am also confused since the adapter was recognized and I was able to connect throught it only once and I was able to place it in monitor mode as normal, but not it's just not connecting. I have also changed the connection to bridged and I am running Kali as guest using VMware in a Ubuntu 12.04 host. I am a noob to most this so plese let me know any other pertinent information left out. Thanks so much advance.

you must disable the use of the wifi card in the host.
    you can run
    modprobe -r ath9k_htc
    which will remove the driver kernel module for the card

a permanent solution is to blacklist the ath9k_htc module in the host so it is never reclaimed and initialized
    you can create a file called /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-ath9.conf and paste into it

blacklist ath9k_htc
    blacklist ath9k_hw
    blacklist ath9k_common

another more elegant solution would be to disable the card from network-manager configuration
    Last edited by zebul666; 2014-11-27 at 11:40.