Thread: rtl 8192cu chipset unknown

rtl 8192cu chipset unknown

Hi, I am using a TP LINK TW822N wireless network adapter in Kali Linux run though a VMWARE on Mac OSX Yosemite.

Kali does not display the chipset and I think it is due to the driver not being installed properly/at all???

When I type airmon-ng
    I receive the following:

Interface Chipset Driver

wlan0 Unknown rtl8192cu - [phy0]

I have downloaded and tried to install the driver from the realtek website but receive this error every time i follow the instructions:

Authentication requested [root] for make clean:
    rm -fr *.mod.c *.mod *.o .*.cmd *.ko *~
    rm .tmp_versions -fr ; rm Module.symvers -fr
    rm -fr Module.markers ; rm -fr modules.order
    cd core/efuse ; rm -fr *.mod.c *.mod *.o .*.cmd *.ko
    cd core ; rm -fr *.mod.c *.mod *.o .*.cmd *.ko
    cd hal/rtl8192c/usb ; rm -fr *.mod.c *.mod *.o .*.cmd *.ko
    cd hal/rtl8192c ; rm -fr *.mod.c *.mod *.o .*.cmd *.ko
    cd hal ; rm -fr *.mod.c *.mod *.o .*.cmd *.ko
    cd os_dep/linux ; rm -fr *.mod.c *.mod *.o .*.cmd *.ko
    cd os_dep ; rm -fr *.mod.c *.mod *.o .*.cmd *.ko
    Authentication requested [root] for make driver:
    make ARCH=x86_64 CROSS_COMPILE= -C /lib/modules/3.14-kali1-amd64/build M=/root/RTL8188C_8192C_USB_linux_v4.0.2_9000.20130911/driver/rtl8188C_8192C_usb_linux_v4.0.2_9000.20130911 modules
    make: *** /lib/modules/3.14-kali1-amd64/build: No such file or directory. Stop.
    make: *** [modules] Error 2
    ##################################################
    Compile make driver error: 2
    Please check error Mesg
    ##################################################

I am not too sure what to do and have been researching this for hours on end trying different methods. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Try airmon-zc, you should see that it shows the proper Driver and chipset. Not sure why airmon-ng does not. I also spent an inordinate amount of time trying to fix this. Must be an aircrack-ng issue. I understand airmon-zc will be part of aircrack-ng ver. 1.3. hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Nullbyter View Post
    Try airmon-zc, you should see that it shows the proper Driver and chipset. Not sure why airmon-ng does not. I also spent an inordinate amount of time trying to fix this. Must be an aircrack-ng issue. I understand airmon-zc will be part of aircrack-ng ver. 1.3. hope this helps.
    Thank you! it works, however when I go onto using airodump-ng I find myself with another problem, it lists the bssid as "not associated"...im guessing its because my chipset doesn't show on airmon-ng ?

Quote Originally Posted by jake4954 View Post
    Thank you! it works, however when I go onto using airodump-ng I find myself with another problem, it lists the bssid as "not associated"...im guessing its because my chipset doesn't show on airmon-ng ?
    Yeah, welcome to the world of the Alfa AWUS036NHR. After using, correction, trying to use this device I've concluded that it just sucks. Period.

Even when/if you do get it to work and you grab what should be a valid handshake, check it with wireshark or cowpatty and you'll more than likely find it to be NG.

I just recently moved on to the AWUS036NH and it works well. Works as advertised.

Grabbed a handshake within seconds and crack it within seconds, lesson learned, moving on with life.

Sorry I can't help further...
    The day Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck will be the day they produce a vacuum cleaner.