Thread: Raspberry Pi + 1.09

Raspberry Pi + 1.09

Good day. 1st time trying to install Kali on my Raspberry Pi. Downloaded the .xz file and extracted with 7zip. Formatted the SD card, wrote using Win32 Diskimage and booted up.

1) Got into X windows but Kali Tools is MISSING from the drop down.

2) Does it really take THAT LONG to boot into X windows from the CLI?

Is there an updated image of Kali that contains all the Kali Tools?

Thanks in advance!

-obg

Did you use the generic armhf image or the dedicated RasPi one?
    I just recently have set up one of my Pis with Kali again and it worked right out of the box.

I guess you extracted the .xz and then wrote it to the sd card? That could be the problem. I did it this way once and it ended up in errors. I suggest you use xzcat to extract it and pipe it to dd for 'burning'.

I used the Ri version where you could choose from various Arm packages. First one on the list under ARM:

https://www.offensive-security.com/k...mage-download/

Like i mentioned, it did boot up but it dies after the first reboot. I'll try to do it on a linux box. BTW, when you installed yours on your Pi, did it have all the Kali Tools built in?

no, it didn't have all the tools installed. I didn't check through every single one, but the most useful and often-used ones are there. You can always install missing tools, as long as there are packages available for armhf. Or compile it from source.

A note regarding RasPi:
    As nice as it is, you should remember that it's a very low-spec computer. So, running a graphical environment cost you much of the valuable ressources. I found the Pi to be working best with Kali when running command line only. For most tools, you don't need a GUI anyways. So maybe you just de-install all the Gnome- and X-stuff and have your problem solved.

Hey thanks for responding. I think i'll skip the Raspberry Pi altogether since its beginning to be a pain in the ***. I'll try to get it on my old laptop and see if that will be any better. Problem i'm encountering now is that it won't even get past the menu for what to launch ( kali live, kali precise, forensic mode, etc ). I think it has something to do with how rufus is "burning" kali onto my usb drive. i think i need to do everything within my ubuntu machine.