Thread: MBR Hybrid Dual Boot MacBook Pro

MBR Hybrid Dual Boot MacBook Pro

I've been going through the documentation on Dual Booting Kali on a Mac. I went through all the steps and I'm stumped on the last one because I have never have had to make a hybrid MBR before. After the gdisk h command in order to make the MBR hybrid, the documentation only shows the partition Kali Linux was installed to in the sequence of partitions to become hybrid. However, when I've done this EFI still does not detect GRUB. Do I make a hybrid MBR of EFI and the Kali partition, or am I missing something major? I really don't want to mess anything up after I've gotten so close so any help would be much appreciated. In the mean time I will continue to research this issue.
    Last edited by MalboroTime; 2014-11-30 at 23:54. Reason: Grammatical Error made question unclear

Quote Originally Posted by MalboroTime View Post
    I've been going through the documentation on Dual Booting Kali on a Mac. I went through all the steps and I'm stumped on the last one because I have never have had to make a hybrid MBR before. After the gdisk h command in order to make the MBR hybrid, the documentation only shows the partition Kali Linux was installed to in the sequence of partitions to become hybrid. However, when I've done this EFI still does not detect GRUB. Do I make a hybrid MBR of EFI and the Kali partition, or am I missing something major? I really don't want to mess anything up after I've gotten so close so any help would be much appreciated. In the mean time I will continue to research this issue.
    Well, I've managed to get the kernel to read the MBR as hybrid. Instead of MBR:Protective it now shows MBR:Hybrid. However, despite my success in making the MBR hybrid for the dual boot, rEFInd still does not detect the Kali Linux file system so I am unable to boot from there, or the one time boot menu by holding the option key. Would grub2 be a boot loader I could use to detect it instead of rEFInd? I will tinker around a bit but any responses regarding why the EFI does not detect Linux will be much appreciated. I'll post an image of the partition table just in case that will give anyone a visual.

*** Report for internal hard disk ***

Current GPT partition table:
    # Start LBA End LBA Type
    1 40 409639 EFI System (FAT)
    2 409640 702474254 Mac OS X HFS+
    3 975503592 976773127 Mac OS X Boot
    4 702476288 967307263 Basic Data
    5 967307264 975503359 Linux Swap

Current MBR partition table:
    # A Start LBA End LBA Type
    1 1 702476287 ee EFI Protective
    2 * 702476288 967307263 83 Linux

MBR contents:
    Boot Code: None

Partition at LBA 40:
    Boot Code: None (Non-system disk message)
    File System: FAT32
    Listed in GPT as partition 1, type EFI System (FAT)

Partition at LBA 409640:
    File System: HFS Extended (HFS+)
    Listed in GPT as partition 2, type Mac OS X HFS+

Partition at LBA 975503592:
    File System: HFS Extended (HFS+)
    Listed in GPT as partition 3, type Mac OS X Boot

Partition at LBA 702476288:
    File System: ext4
    Listed in GPT as partition 4, type Basic Data
    Listed in MBR as partition 2, type 83 Linux, active

Partition at LBA 967307264:
    File System: Unknown
    Listed in GPT as partition 5, type Linux Swap

I could not post an image due to the KB limit so I had my computer print out my partiton table for both GPT and MBR. I'm going to now build a GRUB2 boot loader from Kali to see if that works in my favor.
    Last edited by MalboroTime; 2014-12-06 at 20:32.

I've got it all my own through a lot of research, there is no longer any (if there was any) to answer my original question. I forgot to make an EFI boot partition as my first primary partition before installing and that's where I went wrong.