Thread: Samsung Chromebook

Samsung Chromebook

Hi all,
    I'm about ready to buy the Samsung Chromebook. There are several on EBAY for under $200. Some of the refurbs have CHROME OS on them.
    If I'm going to run a kali based linux, I'm assuming I'm going to write over the existing OS?

Also, the processor is Exynos 5 Dual. I'm guessing this is a decent processor. I hate having a 11.6" screen, but my funds are lacking.

Thanks all,

Currently no, we don't overwrite the OS on the machine, it's like running a live usb drive, except you will use either a USB stick or an SD card (or microSD) on ARM boards. At some point, they will be installable, but that is still in the works and no ETA.

ok, thanks steev. So, I think I'll get a windows machine? I'm just getting started in all this.

chromebooks have the latest technology plus you can install Kali on it via crouton. Crouton is just as good as the real thing if not better. I was skeptical about crouton at first but apt-get works fine, 'sudo apt-get download kali-linux-wireless' and you will be ready

I have it installed on my Acer Chromebook and its fairly awesome. Much better than the usb version in speed.

Samsung Chromebooks do have an EFI boot supported ISO.

I'm not sure what you're even saying here? EFI boot supported ISO? Our image uses a gpt partition layout, but it's not EFI. The Samsung Chromebooks use u-boot for the boot loader, and probably in the future it will move to coreboot, but they are not currently using EFI.

Im on kali on my chromebook now. There is a samsung ISO that boots off chromebooks.

I may of read it wrong but as far as i understand there is.

So I have crouton installed along with kali kde

Quote Originally Posted by L-dog23 View Post
    chromebooks have the latest technology plus you can install Kali on it via crouton. Crouton is just as good as the real thing if not better. I was skeptical about crouton at first but apt-get works fine, 'sudo apt-get download kali-linux-wireless' and you will be ready

I have it installed on my Acer Chromebook and its fairly awesome. Much better than the usb version in speed.
    all installed well I just cant for the life of me figure out how to launch the kde interface. If someone could tell me how that would save me a great deal of trouble thanks in advance