Thread: Network manager and icon are gone?

Network manager and icon are gone?

so I figured out that this is a bug and will file it soon. Just don't use apt-get autoremove! I have reproduced this bug twice on two different installs.

The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
    baobab caribou caribou-antler dnsmasq-base fonts-cantarell gdm3 gnome-backgrounds gnome-dictionary gnome-disk-utility gnome-font-viewer gnome-icon-theme-extras
    gnome-packagekit gnome-packagekit-data gnome-screenshot gnome-system-log gucharmap libavahi-ui-gtk3-0 libcaribou-gtk-module libcaribou-gtk3-module libgadu3
    libgdict-1.0-6 libgdict-common libgdu-gtk0 libjim0debian2 libmozjs24d libnl-route-3-200 libtsk3-3 libunique-3.0-0 mobile-broadband-provider-info modemmanager
    network-manager network-manager-gnome usb-modeswitch usb-modeswitch-data xulrunner-24.0
    Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.

network-manager network-manager-gnome are on the list to be removed. I don't know what package I installed that would want to replace these very useful apps.
    Any thoughts from the community.

I had just downloaded the iso two days ago if that helps? My sha1 sums matched so I dont think its a corrupt download but I really dont know.
    Last edited by corvid; 2014-12-17 at 08:15. Reason: new information has come to light man

Figured out what causes the network-manager to disappear. apt-get autoremove; was the last command before my second reproduction of this.
    no fix but to reinstall.

Just did a fresh install of kali. installed gdebi from apt-get. gdebi was the first app I installed. Had issues with the program so I did a ait-get purge gdebi.

apt-get purge gdebi
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
    baobab caribou caribou-antler dnsmasq-base empathy empathy-common fonts-cantarell gcalctool gdm3 gir1.2-vte-2.90 gnome-backgrounds gnome-dictionary gnome-disk-utility
    gnome-font-viewer gnome-icon-theme-extras gnome-packagekit gnome-packagekit-data gnome-screenshot gnome-system-log gucharmap libavahi-gobject0 libavahi-ui-gtk3-0 libcaribou-gtk-module libcaribou-gtk3-module libchamplain-0.12-0 libchamplain-gtk-0.12-0 libgdict-1.0-6 libgdict-common libgdu-gtk0 libgeocode-glib0 libjim0debian2 libmozjs24d libnl-route-3-200 libtelepathy-farstream2 libunique-3.0-0 mobile-broadband-provider-info modemmanager nautilus-sendto-empathy network-manager network-manager-gnome sound-theme-freedesktop telepathy-gabble telepathy-logger telepathy-salut usb-modeswitch usb-modeswitch-data vino xulrunner-24.0
    Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
    The following packages will be REMOVED:
    gdebi*

So in at least my 4 installation's from 2 different kali.iso's I have had this problem. So far I think its in issue that pops up on apt-get purge! I think the apt database isnt doing a check for apps that are currently using these dependency's and thus marks them ok for removal. Just a guess though. Id update the bug report I filed but It is such a nightmare trying to navigate that site, just spent an hour trying to find my bug report with no luck.

I would just advise not using purge in kali. Just use remove instead.
    Last edited by corvid; 2014-12-23 at 01:33.