Thread: Completely messed up dual boot attempt with Windows 7- please help!

Completely messed up dual boot attempt with Windows 7- please help!

Hi all,

I decided that I wanted to set up a dual boot with Kali, so in Windows I partitioned my D: drive to give me 30gb of unallocated space

I then inserted a DVD with Kali and rebooted the computer. I selected "Install" from the Kali boot menu, and then "Guided: Use Largest Block of Free Space" (the first choice, might've been worded a bit differently)

It took me to a menu where it showed that it was going to use the 30gb partition + a 1.6gb swap partition, I pressed continue and it went about writing changes to the disk. At this point I got scared that the swap partition might've actually been something important, so I hastily shut down the computer when it was at 13%

I now tried booting into Windows 7 with the DVD taken out to check whether I messed something up. I use Diskcryptor on my Windows installation, and I got to the menu where it asks for me to put in my password. I put it in and it shows me "BOOTMGR is missing." It seems as if now I can't boot into Windows at all...

I looked all over the web about this happening to others trying to set up a dual boot but couldn't find anything. Could somebody please help me out so that I don't entirely lose all of my data in the Windows install?

Thanks a lot

First question is do you have access to ANOTHER computer? If so heres some suggestions.

First, you should NEVER mess with HDD stuff when your new without backing up but you did good at experimenting by just taking the chance. Now since your a windows type guy I suggest you DL this and burn it to DVD or USB. Its a legal windows 7 liveCD http://getintopc.com/softwares/opera...free-download/ i don't like windows much but in my line of work there are tons of times its saved the day. This should at LEAST allow you to recover some files. Im not sure about the other thing but I will research myself and see if I can find anything.

Seems maybe you deactivated a partion by accident. Check it out here: http://www.howtogeek.com/forum/topic...is-missing-108

i can help.

I have done this many times haha. Insert any usb linux distro with gparted on it and boot it up, open Gparted and select the HDD and there should be a small partition named 'GRUB' or something along those lines. Once you have found it check if it is flagged as 'BOOT' If it is not flagged as boot then right-click it and select 'flags' and then boot.

If you can't find the 'GRUB' partition you just need to flag the windows partition as 'BOOT' and then reboot the computer and windows should load up.

Then you can reinstall linux but be carefull and make sure you ID the partitions

The swap is not important, its like extra ram so it can be removed