Thread: Grub lists Win8.1 but OS fails to boot

Grub lists Win8.1 but OS fails to boot

I have a Lenovo Twist with two HD. Win8.1 is installed on sda and Kali is on sdb. Grub is installed with Kali on sdb. When I boot to sdb Grub loads fine and "sees" the Win8 disk (listed as Windows 8 loader). When I choose Win8 it fails to load --> I get Windows Boot Manager error " failed to start; the boot configuration is missing".

If I boot to sda Windows loads without issue.

My goal is to set primary boot to sdb and use Grub to choose where to go .. (duh..!).

Any ideas?

Thank you.

Yeah ... Windows tends to be particular about it's boot process. One thing that you can try is to let Windows repair it's Boot Manager. Once Windows boots into, well, Windows again, you can try reinstalling Kali but tell it to install Grub 2 on /sdb. Then in order to get Kali to boot properly you can fallow this guy's instructions over here: http://apcmag.com/how-to-dual-boot-w...-and-linux.htm.

If OTOH, you really need Grub 2 in control of your boot process then I'd suggest googling something like "dual boot windows 8.1 and ubuntu with grub 2" You could replace ubuntu with debian but I suspect that you'll find a lot more specific info with the ubuntu query.

Now I'm a total Kali noob so I could be all wet here but I have done a lot of ubuntu and windows stuff. Given what I know this is the tack I'd take. Good luck.