Thread: awus051nh alfa usb adapter txpower

awus051nh alfa usb adapter txpower

I have the latest upgrades of kali installed, my testing usually involves using wifite. I am trying to increase the tx power of my usb adapter, I am having no success getting it above 17. I have tried a couple different country codes. If memory serves me right I had increased it once a couple years ago alright, I just can not get it higher now. Is there a new setting to overcome in order to get it higher now?

My adapter is a ALFA awus051nh it is run as wlan1 Ralink RT2870/3070 rt2800usb - [phy1]

The adapter seems pretty good to test with, I thought I would have more problems using an uncommon adapter. I am not sure if the hardware is restricting the txpower, or the drivers will not work well with it yet.

I tried many suggested procedures to increase tx power, but I can only go to 17 or lower.

Thanks for the links, I see one there I may trust pertaining to special instructions for kali, I also have problems with the adapter during testing in the following manner. If I were to load up wifite and scan for all APs, then try an attack and upon cancelling it, trying to scan again gives me no clients beside any APs. I have to unplug the adapter and plug it back in and then scan again to get it to pick up any clients beside the APs. Is this normal?

I did not notice at first, but now I see that when I boot up kali without that alfa adapter then plug it in after logging in it will show tx power at 30 but on the 2.4ghz, after seeing this I do my usual airmon-ng check kill, and go into wifite, start up the scan with wlan1 put into mon0. I then have a look at iwconfig and it now shows 5.18ghz at txpower17. I exit and then do iwconfig and see it is sitting there at txpower20, I assume the 2.4 runs at 20 normally and the 5.18 runs at 17, but why does it show txpower30 up until I exit the use of wifite. I will keep testing and googling, maybe I can put it all together and figure this out myself. The issue with my adapter not picking up clients of the APs on the scan after exiting or cancelling a test is errattic, sometimes it works without power cycling it and sometimes it doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by undersc0re View Post
    I have the latest upgrades of kali installed, my testing usually involves using wifite. I am trying to increase the tx power of my usb adapter, I am having no success getting it above 17. I have tried a couple different country codes. If memory serves me right I had increased it once a couple years ago alright, I just can not get it higher now. Is there a new setting to overcome in order to get it higher now?

My adapter is a ALFA awus051nh it is run as wlan1 Ralink RT2870/3070 rt2800usb - [phy1]

The adapter seems pretty good to test with, I thought I would have more problems using an uncommon adapter. I am not sure if the hardware is restricting the txpower, or the drivers will not work well with it yet.

I tried many suggested procedures to increase tx power, but I can only go to 17 or lower.