Thread: Installing through Virtualbox?

Installing through Virtualbox?

edit: maybe this should be moved to the installation board.

Greetings everyone.

So I just acquired a second hand Nexus 7 GSM (2012) model.

I'm relatively noobish, but I think I followed the instructions. I'm in dev mode, have USB debugging enabled, MTP and PTP are off.
    I don't have Kali installed "physically", only Ubuntu, XP and 8.1, but I have a Kali VBox for learning purposes.
    Long story short: it seems many people have driver issues with the Nexus and I ran into it as well. (on XP and 8.1)

I reckon I could try it with a live Kali, but apparently all available flash media in the house is unreliable and I don't want to risk damaging eithe my PC or my tablet.
    Now, VirtualBox has this ability to let virtual machines access USB devices directly, but my tablet is not showing up.

I know this is not the nicest workaround, but I'm pretty short on cash and can't buy memory right now. Also, figuring this out is much more fun
    Last edited by raingloom; 2015-01-10 at 00:09. Reason: move suggest

Raingloom, do you mean problems with the the windows nethunter installer or the root kit?

The recommended Nexus Root Toolkit. It does not recognize the device at all. I can connect it on any OS using MTP. (haven't tried PTP)
    It does show up in the Device Manager (as "Nexus 7"), it also shows in lsusb. I did some further thinking though and maybe I could install it through Ubuntu if I had the right packages. Ofc, I'd prefer Kali for this, but I made 2 live USBs installs (both onto a microSDHC card, once with a cable extender, once without), neither booted, even though I managed to boot it before on the same PC.

In the meantime I've found this.
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1...-in-virtualbox
    Is this enough for Nethunter? Do I need the exact same packages as Kali provides?

I'm using Kali with VMware Player and it works perfectly to detect my Nexus 7 2013 flo (using different versions of Windows, but it works on my Kali install without vmware as well).
    ){ :|:& };:

Maybe it's not VirtualBox's fault. I re-checked it and Ubuntu is not working either. Maybe it's the Nexus's fault after all. Is it factory reset time?
    Last edited by raingloom; 2015-01-13 at 02:28.