Thread: airbase-ng problem ( access point wih PWR 0) USB TL-WN722N)

airbase-ng problem ( access point wih PWR 0) USB TL-WN722N)

My usb card is Tplink TL-WN722N and my kali linux is 1.0.9 x64 VM setup.

When I try to setup the Access point through airbase-ng, the access point will appear and just can be maintained about a min than disappear. Even though the access point cant be detected by my devices, the strange thing is that I can see the access point in the list of airodump-ng but with 0 PWR. How can I solve this problem? thank you very much (plx forgive my bad English I am not the native Englsih speaker )

My steps for setting up the access point

ifconfig wlan0 down
    iwconfig wlan0 mode monitor
    ifconfig wlan0 up

airbase-ng -e roy wlan0
    05:07:23 Created tap interface at0
    05:07:23 Trying to set MTU on at0 to 1500
    05:07:23 Access Point with BSSID C0:4A:00:29:D1:DA started.

the access point will disappear from my wifi list of my host computer around a min, than I try to use airodump to see whether I can find the access point

airodump-ng wlan0

CH 7 Elapsed: 14 s 2015-01-10 05:10

BSSID PWR Beacons #Data, #/s CH MB ENC CIPHER AUTH ESSID

74:EA:3A:E3:0A:86 -79 2 0 0 8 54e. WPA2 CCMP PSK Steph
    C8:3A:35:3E:6F:64 -82 1 0 0 6 54e. WPA CCMP PSK HUI's
    0C:82:68:97:36:66 -79 2 0 0 6 54e. WPA2 CCMP PSK HUI's
    C0:4A:00:29:D1:DA 0 14 0 0 7 54 OPN roy
    14:CC:20:E5:F5:25 -62 5 1 0 1 54e. WPA2 CCMP PSK Louis
    E8:DE:27:E3:FE:AE -64 4 0 0 1 54e. WPA2 CCMP PSK lam

BSSID STATION PWR Rate Lost Frames Probe

I dont know why the PWR will be 0 , moreover the channel of the access point will keeping changing( C0:4A:00:29:D1:DA 0(PWR) 14 0 0 7 54 OPN roy )

The feature of My kali linux

1.root@kali:~# uname -a
    Linux kali 3.14-kali1-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.14.5-1kali1 (2014-06-07) x86_64 GNU/Linux

2.root@kali:~# airmon-ng

Interface Chipset Driver

wlan0 Atheros AR9271 ath9k - [phy5]

3.root@kali:~# iwconfig
    eth0 no wireless extensions.

lo no wireless extensions.

wlan0 IEEE 802.11bgn Mode:Monitor Frequency:2.452 GHz Tx-Power=20 dBm
    Retry short limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
    Power Management:off

4.root@kali:~ ifconfig
    eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 08:00:27:1b:e7:ca
    inet addr:192.168.0.102 Bcast:192.168.0.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
    inet6 addr: fe80::a00:27ff:fe1b:e7ca/64 Scope:Link
    UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    RX packets:7243 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:2556 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:6757670 (6.4 MiB) TX bytes:517412 (505.2 KiB)

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
    inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
    inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
    UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:65536 Metric:1
    RX packets:76 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:76 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
    RX bytes:4560 (4.4 KiB) TX bytes:4560 (4.4 KiB)

wlan0 Link encap:UNSPEC HWaddr C0-4A-00-29-D1-DA-3A-30-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00
    UP BROADCAST NOTRAILERS PROMISC ALLMULTI MTU:1800 Metric:1
    RX packets:230312 errors:0 dropped:199997 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:59056327 (56.3 MiB) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

Thank you for reading my problem!!!!!!!!! Actually, I tried to find the solution through internet a week and I found that , to the best of my knowledge, no one face the this problem same as me

Thank You very very very very mcuh !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It appears your problem is here

airbase-ng -e roy wlan0

You neglected to add a channel.

type airbase-ng --help for Options

Furthermore you might want to put your wifi device in monitor mode.

airmon-ng start wlan0

Then use mon0 instead of wlan0 in the airbase-ng command line

We would also scrap VM ware and run kali from a persistant usb or harddrive install.

MTeams
    Last edited by mmusket33; 2015-01-12 at 13:16.

Quote Originally Posted by mmusket33 View Post
    It appears your problem is here

airbase-ng -e roy wlan0

You neglected to add a channel.

type airbase-ng --help for Options

Furthermore you might want to put your wifi device in monitor mode.

airmon-ng start wlan0

Then use mon0 instead of wlan0 in the airbase-ng command line

We would also scrap VM ware and run kali from a persistant usb or harddrive install.

MTeams
    Thank you for your suggestion mmusket33. However, the problem still exist!! channel keep changing and the PWR still be 0

airmon-ng start wlan0

than

airbase-ng -e roy -c 6 mon0

Thank you very much

Quote Originally Posted by roy1990 View Post
    Thank you for your suggestion mmusket33. However, the problem still exist!! channel keep changing and the PWR still be 0

airmon-ng start wlan0

than

airbase-ng -e roy -c 6 mon0

Thank you very much
    hi :-)
    i'm not expert,but if this can be a help
    i THINK it's normal(for my low-level-mind) to have 0 PWR in airodump-ng pannell with the SAME interface....try launch airodump-ng with another interface(put in monitor-mode)..different of interface for fake_AP...same to be good!
    repeat I THINK !!!!!but i don't know.. ONLY error(for me) is the CHANNELL

http://www.imagestime.com/show.php/1...ttura.PNG.html
    Last edited by zimmaro; 2015-01-13 at 09:05.

Quote Originally Posted by zimmaro View Post
    hi :-)
    i'm not expert,but if this can be a help
    i THINK it's normal(for my low-level-mind) to have 0 PWR in airodump-ng pannell with the SAME interface....try launch airodump-ng with another interface(put in monitor-mode)..different of interface for fake_AP...same to be good!
    repeat I THINK !!!!!but i don't know.. ONLY error(for me) is the CHANNELL

thank you for your suggestion!!!!!!

Even though I tried using another interface executing airodump-ng , the pwr of my access point is still 0

Why I think that pwr will be the core problem since, even though airodump can find my access point, all of my devices( Laptop, smart phone) cant detect the access point =.=

But absolutely, channel keeping changing is another important issue as well !!! thx

To Roy 1990. If we understand you correctly your channel is changing. Is there a chance you are running:

airodump-ng mon0

at the same time. Airodump-ng would then start the wifi device channel hopping which would confuse airbase-ng. Remember your computer can make many virtual monitors but your device cannot be told to channel hop and also stay on a single channel at the same time. It makes your system schizoid and you start getting error messages.

You might start airodump-ng -c ?? mon0 The ?? is the channel you want to run airbase-ng on. Next open airbase-ng on the same channel and see if the channel stays fixed. Look at the upper right hand corner of airodump-ng and see if you get any error messages.

MTeams
    Last edited by mmusket33; 2015-01-14 at 12:37.

airodump-ng will scan channels by default, therefore causing the channel on your radio to hop. A radio can only be on one channel at a time (regardless of how many monitor interfaces you have). You should specify a static channel with both airbase-ng and airodump-ng, to ensure your radio stays on the desired channel.
    OSCP
    --
    If it smells like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck; then it probably is a duck.

Quote Originally Posted by rastamouse View Post
    airodump-ng will scan channels by default, therefore causing the channel on your radio to hop. A radio can only be on one channel at a time (regardless of how many monitor interfaces you have). You should specify a static channel with both airbase-ng and airodump-ng, to ensure your radio stays on the desired channel.
    hi Rastamouse:-)
    As always thanks for the clarification

thank you for all your suggestion !!! Actually, main problem for me is that i cant detect my access point with airbase-ng. Even though i dont run the airodump-ng (The access point appear serveral mins, than diasppear from my wifi list ) thank you very much

To Roy1990

We have seen something like this a few years ago when using BT5R3. If you notice in the help files for airbase-ng the -e command is not listed. Try changing the -e command to --essid and see if this helps. Or type airbase-ng --help for the help list. Previously when we used the -e we had problems with airbase-ng.

MTeams
    Last edited by mmusket33; 2015-01-16 at 11:08.

To Roy1990

We have seen something like this a few years ago when using BT5R3. If you notice in the help files for airbase-ng the -e command is not listed. Try changing the -e command to --essid and see if this helps. Or type airbase-ng --help for the help list. Previously when we used the -e we had problems with airbase-ng.

MTeams
    Thank you for your suggestion. however this problem still exist! I type airbase-ng -- help and cant find the -e command. When I try to type --essid, the access point will still disappear after several mins. Will it relate to the problem of my use wireless card( typlink tlwn722n) ? Will you recommend me to buy the another usb wireless card? thank you very much !!!!!!!!!

Okay we have had to dust off our old verizon wpa phishing programs as we use Pwnstar9.0 which does all this for you.

Try this command line

Put your device in monitor mode:

then
    airbase-ng --essid test -c 6 -a 00:11:22:33:44:55 -v mon0

But to get this to run as a softAP or rougueAP you are going to have to mess with your iptables and web pages. If phishing is your goal we suggest you download PwnStar9.0 written by Vulpi. There is a thread in these forums.

Furthermore if you run PwnStar 9.0 you will see your softAP visible when you are only half way thru the short setup. This will imediately tell you if it is your computer or not.

Also check your network-manager appelet upper right-hand corner and make sure the wifi device that you are using to support airbase-ng is not associated to a router.

As to wifi devices all we can say is we use the AWUS036H but there is now an N model of which we know nothing about. One of our students came in with a N model and it worked fine as far as we could see.. Previously Weaknet (google them) had good reviews on wifi devices.

MTeams
    Last edited by mmusket33; 2015-01-16 at 13:16.

Okay we have had to dust off our old verizon wpa phishing programs as we use Pwnstar9.0 which does all this for you.

Try this command line

Put your device in monitor mode:

then
    airbase-ng --essid test -c 6 -a 00:11:22:33:44:55 -v mon0

But to get this to run as a softAP or rougueAP you are going to have to mess with your iptables and web pages. If phishing is your goal we suggest you download PwnStar9.0 written by Vulpi. There is a thread in these forums.

Furthermore if you run PwnStar 9.0 you will see your softAP visible when you are only half way thru the short setup. This will imediately tell you if it is your computer or not.

Also check your network-manager appelet upper right-hand corner and make sure the wifi device that you are using to support airbase-ng is not associated to a router.

As to wifi devices all we can say is we use the AWUS036H but there is now an N model of which we know nothing about. One of our students came in with a N model and it worked fine as far as we could see.. Previously Weaknet (google them) had good reviews on wifi devices.

MTeams
    I tried you command

airbase-ng --essid test -c 6 -a 00:11:22:33:44:55 -v mon

=.= the problem still exist and I continually got the message of got broadcast probe request from

Thank you very much !!!!!!!! I will try to use Pwnstar 9.0 to run airbase-ng and see whether it is ok or not

You should see the probe request. Not sure what is not working.

If you see a negative one warning ignore it. It doesnot seem to affect airbase-ng functions

Here is a good overview. It is not written specifically for kali-linux but it will walk you thru soft/rogueAP setups

https://www.sensepost.com/blog/9460.html
    Last edited by mmusket33; 2015-01-18 at 01:23.

To mmusket33

I mean that the access point still disappear after several mins !!!! Thank you for always answering my question !!! U r really really a nice guy !!!!!!! Thx

me too facing same problem !
    using alfa AWUS036NHA

Quote Originally Posted by roy1990 View Post
    To mmusket33

I mean that the access point still disappear after several mins !!!! Thank you for always answering my question !!! U r really really a nice guy !!!!!!! Thx

did you get this resolved?

I am having this issue as well and have tried all your above solutions.

Still no luck. =[

Quote Originally Posted by kali-kal View Post

Still no luck. =[
    I noticed that if I hava airbase-ng running with -P -C 30 then after a while (sometimes a minute sometimes few minutes) airbase-ng hangs and I can't see libc related (Just google segfault and libc-2.19.so and you will see same kind of problems) error message on dmesg. If I remove -P -C 30 and have otherwise exactly same script it work perfectly.
    I'm using my old script which has worked perfectly on older Kali but now with 2.0 it has all kind of problems but this -P -C 30 thing is the worst which I can't fix =( any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by kali-kal View Post

Still no luck. =[
    I noticed that if I hava airbase-ng running with -P -C 30 then after a while (sometimes a minute sometimes few minutes) airbase-ng hangs and I can't see libc related (Just google segfault and libc-2.19.so and you will see same kind of problems) error message on dmesg. If I remove -P -C 30 and have otherwise exactly same script it work perfectly.
    I'm using my old script which has worked perfectly on older Kali but now with 2.0 it has all kind of problems but this -P -C 30 thing is the worst which I can't fix =( any ideas?

Here is the error message what I go to dmesg:
    [ 109.588638] airbase-ng[1395]: segfault at 0 ip 00007fac86b4e930 sp 00007fac86510c68 error 4 in libc-2.19.so[7fac86a25000+19f000]

And like I said this only happens if I use -P -C 30

Interesting... If I understood these right:
    https://trac.aircrack-ng.org/ticket/1635

This problem should be fixed but it doesn't seem to be fixed on my Kali installation.
    Or maybe I just don't understand something? If somebody understand better what's wrong and how to fix it please let me know...

Or:
    https://github.com/aircrack-ng/aircrack-ng/issues/43
    https://github.com/aircrack-ng/aircrack-ng/pull/44
    https://trac.aircrack-ng.org/changeset/2704

btw, is airbase-ng is similar with airmon-ng? i've tried to use it to scan my wireless network but it always can't detect the network, can somebody tell me why? i've tried to scan and kill the interrupting processes but it doesn't do anything...

Just updated my kali yesterday and there was update for aircrack-ng and with a short test which I did yesterday my problem with -P -C 30 has been fixed but I will do some more testing before being sure that it is fixed. But still

Quote Originally Posted by zhanzibar View Post
    btw, is airbase-ng is similar with airmon-ng? i've tried to use it to scan my wireless network but it always can't detect the network, can somebody tell me why? i've tried to scan and kill the interrupting processes but it doesn't do anything...
    I'm not the best person to answer to your question but as far as I know airbase-ng is for creating wireless networks (access point) and airmon-ng is software which you use when you want to put your interface to monitor mode and so on.
    See more information here:
    http://www.aircrack-ng.org/doku.php?id=airmon-ng
    and here:
    http://www.aircrack-ng.org/doku.php?id=airbase-ng