Thread: Being spammed with syntax errors when trying to install new packages

Being spammed with syntax errors when trying to install new packages

I installed the upgrade then rebooted then a while later tried to install a package, and got a huge list of supposed Syntax errors in some things in the menu (all work fine) everytime I now install a package I get the same spammed messages, I don't think it's a bug as I think it would've been noticed by someone by now. I don't know how to fix this and don't want to be spammed every time I install something new. Things install fine and everything in the menu works fine but it's very annoying as it''s a very long list of spam.

Processing triggers for menu ...
    /usr/share/menu/kbounce: 1: /usr/share/menu/kbounce: Syntax error: word unexpected (expecting ")")
    /usr/share/menu/w3af: 1: /usr/share/menu/w3af: Syntax error: word unexpected (expecting ")")
    /usr/share/menu/gnuplot-nox: 1: /usr/share/menu/gnuplot-nox: Syntax error: word unexpected (expecting ")")

Quote Originally Posted by lianna View Post
    I installed the upgrade then rebooted then a while later tried to install a package, and got a huge list of supposed Syntax errors in some things in the menu (all work fine) everytime I now install a package I get the same spammed messages, I don't think it's a bug as I think it would've been noticed by someone by now. I don't know how to fix this and don't want to be spammed every time I install something new. Things install fine and everything in the menu works fine but it's very annoying as it''s a very long list of spam.

Processing triggers for menu ...
    /usr/share/menu/kbounce: 1: /usr/share/menu/kbounce: Syntax error: word unexpected (expecting ")")
    /usr/share/menu/w3af: 1: /usr/share/menu/w3af: Syntax error: word unexpected (expecting ")")
    /usr/share/menu/gnuplot-nox: 1: /usr/share/menu/gnuplot-nox: Syntax error: word unexpected (expecting ")")
    Extensive research found this to be a Debian bug where the items in /usr/share/menu have become executable when they shouldn't be, so reinstalling the item or taking execute permissions off fixes it I never made them executable myself, just seems to be a bug. I update this in case someone in the future has the same problem.