Thread: OpenVas-gsd problems

OpenVas-gsd problems

Hello, I am trying to run OpenVas for the first time. I've entered "openvas-setup" and let it finish. After entering "openvas-adduser" I get an error "command not found." "openvas-nvt-sync" works fine. My problem is, after trying to launch OpenVas-gsd, it doesn't do anything. No GUI launch! I looked at a few threads and tried "apt get update" etc... and still nothing. How do I launch OpenVas-gsd? I'm on my laptop w/ Windows 8.1 64-bit, and Kali Linux 1.0.9 64-bit on VMWare Player. Please respond, Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike9876 View Post
    Hello, I am trying to run OpenVas for the first time. I've entered "openvas-setup" and let it finish. After entering "openvas-adduser" I get an error "command not found." "openvas-nvt-sync" works fine. My problem is, after trying to launch OpenVas-gsd, it doesn't do anything. No GUI launch! I looked at a few threads and tried "apt get update" etc... and still nothing. How do I launch OpenVas-gsd? I'm on my laptop w/ Windows 8.1 64-bit, and Kali Linux 1.0.9 64-bit on VMWare Player. Please respond, Thanks!
    I have always had problems getting OpenVAS off the ground in the past, but this time around (with the 1.0.9 VM) it went really smooth. I didn't do any updates yet, just booted and ran "openvas initial setup" and waited a while for it to finish. Openvas-start is run at the end of the script (redo it if you rebooted) and openvas-gsd then ran on the desktop normally. There is an admin user added when you run the initial setup (it asks you for the pw to set at the end of the script) so you shouldn't need to run adduser to get started, although it should work if you are logged in as root.

Alternately, there is a web interface for Greenbone once you have Openvas running. It's SSL on port 9392, so the url is https://127.0.0.1:9392/login/login.html (its ok to accept the certificate error).

Quote Originally Posted by Mike9876 View Post
    OK to add to my first response, after working with the 1.0.9a VM some more I have found your issue. Running apt-get update; apt-get upgrade (or any other form of upgrade) causes Openvas to be upgraded from 6 to 7. The upgrade process is far from graceful, so if you set up openvas 6 before doing the upgrade (and probably in any other case as well) you will need to migrate and rebuild Openvas in order to get it working. To do it is not hard, just run "openvasmd --migrate" to get the database moved from 6 to 7. Then, run "openvasmd --rebuild" to fix anything else wrong with the db. Try restarting the services, and if they dont restart or the web login still doesnt work (dont use the desktop app for now) just run those two commands again, and try "openvas-check-setup" to see if any errors are generated. The first time I ran into this, I had to run through a few stop/start/rebuild iterations before it just started working.

In 7, there is no longer a openvas administrator package, it is part of openvasmd. So, openvas-adduser is gone but you can use openvasmd --create-user=[username] to create a new user.