Thread: kali 1.0.9 kernel 3.14 nvidia card issues

kali 1.0.9 kernel 3.14 nvidia card issues

My end goal is really to get cudahashcat64 working, I am not sure exactly what my problem is, so getting to the point here will be hard.
    My set up is a dual boot on an Asus P8Z68-V motherboard using grub for Kali and Win7.
    I've tried 3 clean installs following the Kali Doc site and blackmor guide with success. It seems that nvidia is installed, but it is not interacting properly with kali distro, when I run nvidia-detect command I get the following :

Code:
    root@Fujinn:~# nvidia-detect
    Detected NVIDIA GPUs:
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation GF116 [GeForce GTX 550 Ti] [10de:1244] (rev a1)
    Uh oh. Failed to identify your Debian suite.
    (I am aware I need to spend some time figure out how to manually input my monitor EIED as I am using a DVI converter for connection behind my tower), but I thought my nvidia driver would still be loaded under the video module, it is not. I have asus_wmi?

Code:
    root@Fujinn:~# lsmod | grep video
    video                  17804  1 asus_wmi
    thermal_sys            27685  6 fan,video,intel_powerclamp,thermal,processor,x86_pkg_temp_thermal
    and

Code:
    root@Fujinn:~# lsmod | grep nvidia
    nvidia_uvm             33278  0 
    nvidia              10507888  31 nvidia_uvm
    drm                   240557  2 nvidia
    i2c_core               24265  3 drm,i2c_i801,nvidia
    the error I find when trying to execute cudahashcat benchmark is the following :

Code:
    root@Fujinn:~# cudahashcat64 -b
    cudaHashcat v1.32 starting in benchmark-mode...

Device #1: GeForce GTX 550 Ti, 1023MB, 1800Mhz, 4MCU

ERROR: cuModuleLoad() 209
    I'm sorry for taking so long to edit the original post, my professors have been a little harsh on us this week by filling us up with projects and papers.
    Last edited by fujinn; 2015-01-23 at 21:32.

Quote Originally Posted by fujinn View Post
    Hi guys, I have a geforce gtx 550 ti and I have been at this for days and days trying to get it working properly and so far I've come up very short. It seems like the drivers (331.67) are installed properly hence me using pyrit without a problem at 16-17K PMKs/s, but when it comes to cudahashcat64, it has issues with the card. It seems to be a problem with the nvidia_uvm.ko file not having correct parameters or something of this kind. I also have a platform (asus_wmi) running under my video module for my screen, this should be a fairly quick fix since it seems like it would be a unloading and loading of a driver, maybe I just don't have a clear view of how kernels, modules and drivers work yet, but as simple of a fix this may seem, I cannot do it lol. I have tried 3 new installations following Blackmors guide to the teeth and it just don't work. I have just started using linux about a week ago, I am trying to get ahead in my area of study (computer science) by self educating in this awesome open-source system, specially this kali distribution that offers so much critical thinking and creativity when using. With that said I want to add the fact that I have never used a forum, so inserting output here is a challange for me at the moment as I see many options under the title of this thread and I am unfamiliar to most of these "insert" options,
    what information is needed to begin a troubleshoot and what option in this thread do I pick to insert the output from the terminal to here?

Thank you in advance guys.
    Read this: https://forums.kali.org/showthread.p...A-Valid-Thread and try to update your post accordingly so that someone can offer you some assistance.

Will have this done once i return home from college. Thx sickness.

Is there any other log file I should post up here before anyone can attempt to troubleshoot this issue?

As you previously mention pyrit working without issues it may be something specific to the tool you are using, if you google around for that error there are several suggested fixes which might help you out. Other then that I recommend you post on the tools forum as that would be the best place to solve your issue.

Most common things that cause these issues seem to be either outdated drivers or nouveau not being blacklisted.

Quote Originally Posted by sickness View Post
    As you previously mention pyrit working without issues it may be something specific to the tool you are using, if you google around for that error there are several suggested fixes which might help you out. Other then that I recommend you post on the tools forum as that would be the best place to solve your issue.

Most common things that cause these issues seem to be either outdated drivers or nouveau not being blacklisted.
    Okay, thank you.
    So to be clear here, as far as nvidia-detect resulting in "Uh oh. Failed to identify your Debian suite." is not a OS/gpudriver issue?

My problem is now solved.
    solution - (something I had tried before but was not done properly)
    remove all nvidia drivers (duh, every research you do is going to tell you this, except the "guidance" to do so was never complete in any post or guide I found).

-download the proper up-to-date (certified version) for your card and operating system @ www.nvidia.com (you might want to go to the options on your browser and set the downloads to prompt you for a location of your chocie to save the .run file, this can be a good way for newbies such as myself not to get lost during this process)
    -apt-get remove nvidia-*
    (I dont remember if this forced me to black screen or not, if it does, alt + f1 to go to terminal mode and continue from there)
    (I already have nouveau silenced, if you haven't or are not sure, google blackmors guide and skip to the part on how to silence nouveau and do so)
    -reboot
    -(again if @ black screen, alt + f1 and log in through terminal), cd to the folder where you saved the recent nvidia driver and run the following command :
    -chmod +x NVIDIA-Linux* ; ./NVIDIA-Linux*
    now I have cuda working on oclhashcat YAY!!!
    Last edited by fujinn; 2015-01-25 at 00:17. Reason: duped something wrong