Thread: Grub boot issue

Grub boot issue

I don't know if this is the right place, but i thought it would be... i do not have any problem installing Kali and grub. I do all the installation process.
    On my machine, i have windows 8.1 installed already, It boots fine. Then, i create a new partition on the same hard drive that my windows is installed. I do the installation process without a problem. Then, i am able to dual boot fine. When i start my computer, the grub menu appears and i have the choice of booting to Kali or booting to windows boot manager. I tried booting windows, it works without any issues. Then i restart my computer, boot into kali, everything is OK.

I install the updates on Kali, do my stuff. It works fine for 2 days. Yesterday, i went to school, started my laptop, grub was fine, i booted into windows, listened to my online class. Then, i had another class, just put my laptop on standby, went to my other class. Last night, when I got home, i wanted to go on my kali partition. When i started my computer, Grub was not there anymore. Instead, i'd go straight to windows boot manager. No more grub.

I did not do any updates, i did not install anything, i didn't change any setting in my bios. ( I have an MSI GS60 ghost pro)

i tried fixing grub many ways, including booting a live session from USB and mounting my partition (mount .../sdb6(in my case) mount /dev /mnt/dev etc...) this didn't work either.

I can't find a way to add Kali to the windows boot manager... and there doesn't seem to be a way.

My windows 8 installation was done in UEFI so was my Kali partition.
    I don't know where GRUB is, and nothing i do seem to be able to fix it. (I also tried installing grub to the boot partition, and even on my second hard drive)

Has anyone encountered this issue.

Hi mate, not the most elegant solution, but easy and well... should work.
    Boot in windows, and install EasyBCD (free) - then add/delete your loaders (you can use the windows bootloader for Kali too!)

All the best.