Thread: Ran updates and now no GUI at all?

Ran updates and now no GUI at all?

This is garbage... all I wanted to do was install from USB to my new Lenovo T440. Went well at first but I had some SDR's I wanted to play with so I "apt-get update" "apt-get upgrade" and "apt-get install kali-linux-sdr" and "apt-get install kali-linux-wireless". Now when I reboot I am just presented with a tty asking for user/passwd. I give root and then get the message:

"systemd-logind[2519]: Failed to start user service: Unknown unit: [email protected]e"

Can't use "startx" can't use "gdm3", nothing. How do I fix this and how do I stop it from happening again? Should I really have to worry about running some simple updates from legit sources breaking my machine?

Hi guys!

This is a real issue and a severe one. Happened the same with same message... I ran the update and later ran "apt-get autoremove" and noticed that something was going wrong when saw the "removing network-manager". I have no network, no GUI, no kali, nothing.

I have been searching and noticed some threads in ubuntu and debian from last year, but nothing that helps in the current state so if somebody can shed some light or guidance would be really, really, really appreciated. I don't know what to do.

Thanks in advance! Please help!

You have two options:

1st Option:
    ----------------
    -Reinstall Kali, pay attention to the "apt-get autoremove" command and try the example below:
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    You'll get rid of "The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:" message by doing "apt-get install" for each one of the package listed to be removed by "apt-get autoremove".
    Example:
    --------------
    if "apt-get autoremove" says:
    Code:
    root@xxxxx:~#apt-get autoremove
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
           gdm3 gnome-backgrounds gnome-system-log mobile-broadband-provider-info network-manager-gnome
    Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    try this:
    instead of hiting "y" and "enter" to remove them use "apt-get install" for each one of the package offered by "apt-get autoremove"
    Example:
    Code:
    root@xxxxx:~#apt-get install gdm3 gnome-backgrounds gnome-system-log mobile-broadband-provider-info network-manager-gnome
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    gdm3 is already the newest version.
    gdm3 set to manually installed.
    gnome-backgrounds is already the newest version.
    gnome-backgrounds set to manually installed.
    gnome-system-log is already the newest version.
    gnome-system-log set to manually installed.
    mobile-broadband-provider-info is already the newest version.
    mobile-broadband-provider-info set to manually installed.
    network-manager-gnome is already the newest version.
    network-manager-gnome set to manually installed.
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    then use "apt-get autoremove" command to see if it's still offering those packages for removing.

2nd Option:
    -----------------
    Try to: 1.gain internet acces from terminal, 2.add the proper Kali ripostories for apt and 3.reinstall all the packages removed by the "apt-get autoremove" command.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1.Internet access:
    --------------------------
    Even without network-manager installed (removed by "apt-get autoremove") you still have connetion but let's say is not up and running, that's why you don't have internet acces.
    So if you are behind a router and you get your IP addres alocated by router's DHCP table, you're lucky because all you have to do is get your ETH/ WiFI adapter up and running.

For WIFI connection (WEP encription):
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Code:
    ifconfig
    to see your wifi adapter name (ex: wlan0)
    then:
    Code:
    ifconfig wlan0 up
    to bring up the adapter
    then:
    Code:
    iwlist wlan0 scann
    to see a list of wireless networks. find your WLAN by looking at ESSIDs
    then:
    Code:
    iwconfig essid "YOUR_WIFI_NAME" key "YOUR_WIFI_PASSWORD"
    then:
    Code:
    dhclient wlan0
    to obtain an IP addres from the router.
    Verify your connection with "ifconfig wlan0" and test your connection with "ping" comand (example: ping google.com).iF ping comand "Replays" then youre up and running.

For Wired Connection (auto optain IP by DHCP)
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Code:
    ifconfig eth0 up
    to get the adapter up and running. (try eth0 or eth1 etc if you have multiple ethernet adapters)
    Code:
    ifconfig
    to verify that you adapter is up and running
    then:
    Code:
    dhclient eth0
    to obtain an IP addres from the router.
    or:
    Code:
    /etc/init.d/networking restart
    to restart you adapters and optain an IP addres
    Verify your connection with "ifconfig wlan0" and test your connection with "ping" comand (example: ping google.com).iF ping comand "Replays" then youre up and running.

2.After gaining Internet access add Kali ripostories:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Open "/etc/apt/sources.list" file with "vim" command and add the repostories below:
    Example:
    Code:
    vim /etc/apt/sources.list
    (press "INSERT" to edit/add lines to the file, after done editing and after verifying everithing is OK press "ESC" and " :wq " to write and close the file)
    Code:
    #deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 7.0 _Kali_ - Official Snapshot i386 LIVE/INSTALL Binary 20141002-12:53]/ kali contrib main non-free 

## Security updates
    # Line commented out by installer because it failed to verify:

## Kali Repostories needed
    deb http://http.kali.org/kali kali main non-free contrib
    deb http://security.kali.org/kali-security kali/updates main contrib non-free 
    deb-src http://http.kali.org/kali kali main non-free contrib
    deb-src http://security.kali.org/kali-security kali/updates main contrib non-free
    3.Reinstall all the packages removed by the "apt-get autoremove" command:
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If you don't know wich package you removed with "apt-get autoremove" then take a look at the ".bash_history" file placed in you home folder (~#) and
    scroll/find the file untill you see "apt-get autoremove THE_LIST_OF_PACKAGES_YOU_REMOVED"
    Code:
    root@xxxxx:~#vim .bash_history
    install them back
    Code:
    apt-get install THE_LIST_OF_PACKAGES_YOU_REMOVED
    I hope this helps you or at least give you an idea to start with.. Cheers!

P.S.: Sorry for my english language mistakes!

I think I may have the same problem. First I did the software update from the Kali Linux GUI drop down menu. Once I rebooted, I had Kali Linux 3.18, Kali Linux 3.14 and Windows 7. I tried to boot the 3.18 and it wouldn't boot to the GUI, it just ends up with a blinking line and can't type anything. 3.14 continued to boot as normal, so I figured I still needed updates to fix issue so ran both apt-get upgrade and apt-get update. Did all that and the kernel update and nvidia updates and now both the 3.18 and 3.14 end up with the blinking cursor, and all I can do is reboot. I can't type anything.
    So now should I just install a fresh copy of kali or is there a way to fix this?

Any help is appreciate,

Jason

Hi guys, I had the same issue and cant find all the packages that were removed. I've sorted out the internet drama temproarily (have to start networking and network-manager on every boot), but now I have no sound, etc, etc. What caused this and what can I do to fix this