Thread: UEFI boot help after installation

UEFI Installation Blank Screen Fix - Post Install

UPDATE - I figured out how to fix this blank screen of death when trying to UEFI boot kali, for those having this problem its a really simple fix. For starters download this cd its based on Ubuntu but will fix it quick and easy. http://sourceforge.net/projects/boot-repair-cd/files/ I used unetbooting to create a live usb. Boot , connect to network open terminal and run sudo apt-get update, dont need to upgrade. Re-open boot repair by clicking bottom menu, System Tools, Boot Repair. Click Advanced options, Ticked should be Reinstall GRUB and Unhide boot menu, go over to GRUB options untick secure boot. Tick Upgrade GRUB to its most recent settings, purge will be automatically ticked as well, and click ok and then click apply. Copy and paste the information given by boot repair and continue. After commands are complete click forward , copy and paste again but remove linux-generic then click forward. And reboot when complete. I really hope this helps someone

Hey everyone. I installed Kali 1.1.0 uefi 500mb efi partition. 20gb swap. 750gb install partition. After install completes grub-efi starts. But then I just get a black screen. That's it. Legacy works fine I want to use the uefi. I'm using an MSI gp60 2pe. Does anyone know why the I can't boot after install. Thanks everyone
    Last edited by Cyb3rg0d; 2015-02-19 at 19:54. Reason: Found the cure!

Couple of things,

20GB is a massive swap. Go down to 4GB.

Second, do you have a boot partition? Should be about 256MB and formatted to ext2 (recommended) and set the Mount point as /boot
    chown -R us ./base

Quote Originally Posted by staticn0de View Post
    Couple of things,

20GB is a massive swap. Go down to 4GB.

Second, do you have a boot partition? Should be about 256MB and formatted to ext2 (recommended) and set the Mount point as /boot
    All I had for the partitions were efi partition swap partition and ext4 partition, do I need a boot partition efi partition swap and install partition for UEFI installation?

Did not work I just tried didn't boot. Using Kali in the partition manager I know I need EFI partition which I make swap and ext4 it just boring to a black screen. I don't see the verbose writing at all which tells me nothing I'd booting

Fixed, look at the first post
    Last edited by Cyb3rg0d; 2015-02-19 at 19:26. Reason: Fixed