First off, I'm not sure if this is the right section to post in, since I have just made an account to see if someone could help, if this is in the wrong section if the admins or mods for the forums could not delete it but rather tell me where I should have posted it, it would be much appreciated.

So here we go, for about 3 months I've been trying to dual boot Kali onto my pre-installed Windows 8.1 laptop (I will post laptop specs below) to test out what it is like compared to other Linux distros.
I've tried multiple times with versions: Kali Linux 64 bit (v1.0.9), Kali Linux 64 bit (v1.1.0) and Kali Linux 64 bit mini (v1.1.0), I also have problems trying to dual boot with Ubuntu as it does not detect Windows 8.1 as the operating system.

When I create a bootable USB for Ubuntu it works perfectly, other than the installation process where it does not detect Windows 8.1. For Kali Linux however it creates a bootable USB from the Kali Linux .iso but it will not boot from the bios, instead booting to standard Windows. I will post The specs below and if anyone could help out it would be very much appreciated.

PC specs are as follows:

Manufacturer: GIGABYTE TECHNOLOGY
Processor: Intel Core i7-4710HQ CPU @ 2.5GHz
16GB Ram
64 bit OS, x64 based processor
Single Lite-On IT 256GB SSD (LITEONIT LMT-256M6M)
Currently running with Windows 8.1

Thank you to anyone who could shed some light on the issue.