Thread: Kali Linux 1.1.0 boots to tty1 and no access to GUI

Kali Linux 1.1.0 boots to tty1 and no access to GUI

Recently I installed Kali 1.1.0 as a dual boot on my ASUS X550C alongside Windows 8.1. The installation worked reasonably well until recently when I decided to test a bash script that was meant to add a user, give them a password and add them to a group.

I decided to test the script and evrything appeared to work Ok but when I went to switch user so that I could check that the user could logon. But when I pressed switch user, instead of loading the standard login screen, the system rebooted and into a fullscreen terminal like backtrack used to. This terminal had the label "tty1" and from this I was completely unable to get back into the GUI. I tried many things including "Ctrl-Alt-F7", updating the system etc.

The closest I have come so far to getting back into the GUI is by somehow getting the "system-bus-socket" back into the file so that gdm3 could run and then restart gdm3. Unfortnately, this resulted in a black screen with the wrist watch in the bottom right corner.

Unfortunately I do not currently have access to the bash script but if someone thinks it may have had an effect on the situation I will be able to private message it to you if you ask.

Unfortunately, as it is quite difficult to use the Kali system at the moment I have not added much in the way of logs but if you would like to see something in the way of logs, please advise on how to get them and I will try and post them here.

I would be very grateful if anyone could help me find a solution to this without having to reinstall because this really is a last resort.

Thanks,
    HackerVision
    Last edited by HackerVision; 2015-03-12 at 07:36.