Thread: Cannot create the partition for persistence (Kali Live USB)

Cannot create the partition for persistence (Kali Live USB)

I installed the image on an 8Gb USB "stick", using the suggested Windows program. It will boot, but there is no persistence.

I went through the instructions Adding Persistence to a Kali Linux "Live" USB Drive.

I would do this on Windows, but the instructions do not cover Windows.

I do not have another working Linux system. So I booted the Kali Linux I created and tried to do the du command on the .iso file name to get the start address. I got "No such file or directory".

I suspect I must do the commands from another Linux machine, but the instructions are not clear. Can I do it from the Kali Linux I booted in this way somehow? Or is there a way to do it from Windows?

I am brand new to this, I am sure I am doing something stupid, but don't know what. Would someone kindly try to help?

More information

Quote Originally Posted by Jacques Roth View Post
    I installed the image on an 8Gb USB "stick", using the suggested Windows program. It will boot, but there is no persistence.

I went through the instructions Adding Persistence to a Kali Linux "Live" USB Drive.

I would do this on Windows, but the instructions do not cover Windows.

I do not have another working Linux system. So I booted the Kali Linux I created and tried to do the du command on the .iso file name to get the start address. I got "No such file or directory".

I suspect I must do the commands from another Linux machine, but the instructions are not clear. Can I do it from the Kali Linux I booted in this way somehow? Or is there a way to do it from Windows?

I am brand new to this, I am sure I am doing something stupid, but don't know what. Would someone kindly try to help?

UPDATE -

I tried the same procedure using a working Linux computer with a different Linux distribution. I got the same errors from the du command and I could find no command that would display any .iso file from the USB "drive" so I could not get the $start variable set up.

I changed the parted command by substituting the $start to be 4gb and it worked.

The rest of the commands worked also.

I booted the USB drive and selected Kali with persistence. I did a mount command of sdb3 and could do a mkdir and use vi to create a text file.
    I rebooted again, mounted sdb3 and the file was still there, so I may have a workable environment now.

I did see some error messages on the boot up that had the word persistence in them, I have no idea whether or not they are serious.

I'll experiment some more after work, but I wonder if only sdb3 is persistent and other devices are not or if everything is supposed to become persistent now.

I suspect the imaging program does not create the USB disk exactly the way Linux needs it. Also, some of the commands gave syntax errors on the Linux workstation I borrowed but not under Kali, are there syntax differences depending on distributions?