Thread: Command line screen resize on Virtual machine

Command line screen resize on Virtual machine

On a virtual machine, I have an installation of Kali. I have removed gdm3 from the startup file to get it to boot to CLI rather than the GUI. This is how I want it, however; I have noticed that the screen size for it is about 800x600 and therefore not long enough to see most commands. The screen that I have is capable of much more than that and I would like to know how to change the resolution of the screen from the command line.

I did look it up on a few places. The command "xrandr" does not have any effect because at this point the x windows manager is not running. Any advise, tips, solutions or other relevant knowledge will be greatly appreciated.

Name Taken Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mttmm View Post
    On a virtual machine, I have an installation of Kali. I have removed gdm3 from the startup file to get it to boot to CLI rather than the GUI. This is how I want it, however; I have noticed that the screen size for it is about 800x600 and therefore not long enough to see most commands. The screen that I have is capable of much more than that and I would like to know how to change the resolution of the screen from the command line.

I did look it up on a few places. The command "xrandr" does not have any effect because at this point the x windows manager is not running. Any advise, tips, solutions or other relevant knowledge will be greatly appreciated.
    Edit GRUB_GFXMODE in /etc/default/grub.

Thanks a lot, that's just what I was looking for.