Thread: Upgrading to Kali Linux on a dual boot machine which defaults to Backtrack 5

Upgrading to Kali Linux on a dual boot machine which defaults to Backtrack 5

I have a core i3 machine dual booted with Windows 7 and and Backtrack 5. The system defaults to BT5 if no choice is made. Now I have a Kali Linux live DVD When I boot it from my DVD drive, I can start using Kali Linux and there is a prompt for installation. I would like to upgrade my Backtrack 5(use the same hard drive space to install Linux without disturbing my Windows 7 in any way. I also had a look at the partition details of my entire HDD from Windows and the BT% partition was empty (neither ext4/NTFS). I need step by step help as I am new to this.

What boot loader is it using? I take it GRUB is the thing that boots either Windows or BT5?

If you simply install Kali and wipe the current BT install, Grub should probably automatically just generate a new menu that will boot Windows 7 as well as "itself". If your BT partition is empty, it could be that it contains an LVM set-up, which means the whole partition is dedicated to a "Logical Volume Manager" "Volume Group". This would be the case if your BT install has inside it a root filesystem and a swap filesystem (two logical volumes inside the volume group that was created within the BT partition that you can see from Windows).

I don't think you need to do anything special. Just proceed according to plan and let the installer update the MBR on (most likely) /dev/sda. This means grub is being installed on /dev/sda.