Thread: Live USB with EFI not working? (Kali 1.1.0a)

Live USB with EFI not working? (Kali 1.1.0a)

I see announcements the 1.0.8 supported UEFI, but keep getting errors trying to boot Kali off a UEFI system (Surface 3 Pro). Did EFI support fall off the latest release?

If not, is there any information on how to get UEFI boot support for 1.1.0a?

same problem......
    Probing EDD (change de off to disable)
    how can i change it ?

I'm also having problems installing kali 1.1.0 on UEFI. The first thing I see is a black screen and that also is the last thing even if I wait 30 min.

I'm also having problems installing kali 1.1.0 on UEFI. The first thing I see is a black screen and that also is the last thing even if I wait 30 min.
    (Dual boot with Windows 8.1 BTW)

http://docs.kali.org/downloading/kal...ve-usb-install

i have used the Win32 Disk Imager and it works without problems.

is uefi secure boot off ?

Unhappy EFI kali linux
    I did everything, it would be a great pleasure if you give me a new link to download bootx64.efi & grubx64.efi because the one you posted doesn't work anywhere .i need it plz help me it would be a great pleasure. right now if i boot i just get a blank screen. really need it. I hope that fixes it. Hopeful. Cant find the files anywhere on the internet.

Hello Forum,

I am new to Kali but not Linux; I run Archlinux on my laptop. I have prepared an
    8GB-USB-pendrive according to web site Elreldur mentioned. The laptop usually b
    oots from internal disk but is testing (USB-)CDRom for boot image (which works).
    I am using the old style to boot (so, NOT using UEFI boot).

If I boot with the created USB-drive inserted it is ignored and I end up in my A
    rchlinux system. Looking at the USB stick shows the following partition table:

Code:
     Gerät      Boot  Anfang     Ende Sektoren Größe Kn Typ
    /dev/sdb1  *         64  5854015  5853952  2,8G 17 Verst. HPFS/NTFS
    /dev/sdb2       5854016  5983103   129088   63M  1 FAT12
    /dev/sdb3       5984256 15667199  9682944  4,6G  b W95 FAT32
    partition sdb3 is added later because I want to use the stick as usual pen drive
    , too.

What is the problem here? What do I have to do to get a bootable Kali USB-drive?

Greetings,

Photor

Live USB of Kali 1.1.0a amd64 does not boot in EFI here also. in non secure boot/mode

First boot I got a black screen but it is as if the usb key is never accessed after I choose to boot the key from EFI boot menu. On later attempt, the laptop reboots immediatly after I choose to boot from Live USB key of Kali ! (as if the EFI firmware blacklisted it or what ?)
    I thought of a faulty usb key so I bought a new one and the result is the same.

I can perfectlly boot for example Ubuntu in EFI mode (moreover even in secure mode)

The only option is to boot in Legacy mode (BIOS) to boot kali

something is broken in kali EFI boot !

switch to grub please !

for the record, using an Dell Inspiron 15 (3521)

Edit:
    See the thread about my fix to this https://forums.kali.org/showthread.p...mode-(64-bits)
    Last edited by zebul666; 2015-04-27 at 16:30.

Hello,

Quote Originally Posted by zebul666 View Post
    Live USB of Kali 1.1.0a amd64 does not boot in EFI here also. in non secure boot/mode

The only option is to boot in Legacy mode (BIOS) to boot kali

something is broken in kali EFI boot !
    Has this issue been fixed?

I'm trying to dual boot Kali with Linux Mint, and I had the black screen problem. I followed what you proposed in your thread Zebul, but when installing Kali, a window appears telling me that "no efi partition was found" when i clearly have one when looking with GParted.

You say we should switch to Legacy mode, that can be done in the BIOS, but is there something else to do?

and how do I install grub? Does it come along with Kali ?

I don't want to do something false and then lose access to my Mint partition, I saw it happened to many people, that's why I'm being precautious.

Has anyone filed a bug report concerning this?

I to am having the same issue with 1.1.0a. Although after giving up and rebooting 15+ times I was able to get the install screen but failed at the "checking cd/rom" and was not able to recover. Has there been a solution to this problem?

Can I install Kali from a USB stick on an Apple laptop?

I am also having the same problem as OP, trying to install Kali 1.1 from a bootable USB. When I select the bootable EFI drive, the system just freezes.
    I read this can happen here - in the section 'Kali Linux Installation Procedure', but I thought I circumnavigated this problem through using rEFInd, which allows booting onto a Guid Partition Table (GPT) hard drive, which starts by using Master Boot Record (MBR) and then accesses the GPT, as a security feature apparently (I don't know the details). I do see the picture that is shown in that link (see my image below), with an (legacy) OS as well as a 'EFI – EFI\BOOT\syslinux.efi' option next to the standard (in my case Mac Mavericks) boot option. So all seems well, but when I click on the legacy OS to start the Kali installer, the system just hangs and never even gets to the Kali spashscreen.

I created the stick in Mac OS using the 'dd' command, using the official Kali tutorial.
    I am booting using rEFInd, which does show the USB drive and so the partitions (see image below)
    The USB stick is seen by terminal like this:

/dev/disk3
    #: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER

0: FDisk_partition_scheme *16.2 GB disk3
    1: 0x17 3.0 GB disk3s1
    2: DOS_FAT_12 Kali_ISO 66.1 MB disk3s2

Just out of interest, I did try the same method from above on a 4Gb SD-card, and encountered the same issue - hanging at boot, although all options were shown in rEFInd.

My next step will be to try the method suggested in this forum, found in the FAQs at the bottom "Q: How can I boot Kali Linux USB with UEFI, then?", using a program called 'rufus' in Windows to create a bootable drive, which uses MBR as an initialiser, apparently making this easier for the installer. You then have to paste a grub file and boot.efi file into the rufus-create directories.

The images below show the rEFInd screen I get at login, and also the two error messages that are returned after selecting each of the possibilities given from the Kali USB. Both error messages require a hard-reset of the laptop.

Has anyone had and solved the same issue?