Thread: Install MS Office 7 In Kali! (Simple Way)

Post Install MS Office 7 In Kali! (Simple Way)

First I would like to say Love it or hate it the fact is Microsoft’s suite of office software is a necessary part of many people’s. We use mostly MS office in work and so for document compatibility with Office file formats it becomes compulsion to use it in your own system rather than KOffice, OpenOffice, and Oracle Open Office.

Follow these 4 simple steps to install MS Office.

Step # 1.
    Make available the MS Office 7 setup on your hard drive / CDROM / USB.

Step # 2.
    Go to Applications > System Tools > Configure Wine and on the "Applications tab" select "Windows XP" or "Vista" under "Windows Version" and click "Apply".

Step # 3.
    Run the "setup.exe" installer, right click it, select "Properties" and on the "Permissions" tab check the "Allow executing file as program" box. Now double clicking setup.exe should open it using WINE. If it doesn't, right click it and select "Open with Wine Windows Program Loader". Now you can easily install Microsoft Office 2007.

Step # 4.
    After installation go to Application > Wine > Programs > Microsoft Office. Your all MS office applications (word,excel etc) resides in this path. All applications works properly except power point.

Solved Power Point Error:
    First power point will fail to start. To fix it, go to Applications > System Tools > Configure Wine and on the "Libraries" tab, under "New override for library" type or select: "riched20.dll", then click "Add". Now click the newly added "riched20" file, click "Edit" and select "Native (Windows)" option.

Enjoy

With free tools like OpenOffice and LibreOffice, I don't get why would someone need an overpriced software... Which doesn't even runs natively on Linux... Just my two cents.

Working with Office 2007, also tested with 2010 - not working

Thanks for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by tr00n3r View Post
    Working with Office 2007, also tested with 2010 - not working

Thanks for sharing!
    I did not try the Office 2010 yet but i hope it will install as well do one thing change the operating system to windows 7 or windows 8 in wine configuration and then run the setup. Let me know whether it worked or not thanks

This is so cool. All we need now is how-to install Call of Duty, YouTube Downloader and iTunes and we'll have a real OS!

Quote Originally Posted by Vulpi View Post
    This is so cool. All we need now is how-to install Call of Duty, YouTube Downloader and iTunes and we'll have a real OS!
    Wine is designed for this purpose to provide a layer in linux box to run windows programs not only MS office. you can install almost any software also.
    For videos downloading i recommend you a Firefox addon https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...ash-and-video/ you will love this it will download any video from youtube, dailymotion facebook videos etc with a single click.
    Last edited by Hitman; 2013-04-20 at 15:51.

Compatibility and familiarity. Yes you can install free open source software, but they tend to add a layer of complexity when exchanging files. Corporate environment is still largely run on Microsoft products.

Quote Originally Posted by Snayler View Post
    With free tools like OpenOffice and LibreOffice, I don't get why would someone need an overpriced software... Which doesn't even runs natively on Linux... Just my two cents.

Why Microsoft office? One reason. OneNote. BTW, has anyone even tested this with onenote? I tried with bt5r3 on 2010 back in the day, but it failed.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
    First I would like to say Love it or hate it the fact is Microsoft’s suite of office software is a necessary part of many people’s. We use mostly MS office in work and so for document compatibility with Office file formats it becomes compulsion to use it in your own system rather than KOffice, OpenOffice, and Oracle Open Office.

Step # 1.

Step # 2.
    Go to Applications > System Tools > Configure Wine and on the "Applications tab" select "Windows XP" or "Vista" under "Windows Version" and click "Apply".

Step # 3.
    Run the "setup.exe" installer, right click it, select "Properties" and on the "Permissions" tab check the "Allow executing file as program" box. Now double clicking setup.exe should open it using WINE. If it doesn't, right click it and select "Open with Wine Windows Program Loader". Now you can easily install Microsoft Office 2007.

Step # 4.
    After installation go to Application > Wine > Programs > Microsoft Office. Your all MS office applications (word,excel etc) resides in this path. All applications works properly except power point.

First power point will fail to start. To fix it, go to Applications > System Tools > Configure Wine and on the "Libraries" tab, under "New override for library" type or select: "riched20.dll", then click "Add". Now click the newly added "riched20" file, click "Edit" and select "Native (Windows)" option.

Enjoy
    I keep getting this error when I try Installing ms office 2007:

a required E:\MSO2007\OSETUP.DLL cannot be loaded. this may indicate that the file is missing or damaged
    I check osetup.dll in the ms office folder, it's still there. I tried to downloaded it, but I keep getting this error. Anybody can help?

Quote Originally Posted by strokerace View Post
    Anyone who uses MS office is still living in the dark ages. Its uses and was built for dummies in mind. 14 yrs with computers and I have never ever used Office, nor found the need for it. I have used other better open source programs like open office.

Wine was put on linux because Window users couldn't figure out how to use linux programs. You either are a windows user, or your are a linux user. You shouldn't try to be both as it defeats the purpose of Linux.
    You may want to consider that MS apps, at least Word and Excel have been around much much longer than you have been using computers. Long before the "open source" concept or GNU licensing was even mature. Ahead of Linux as well. MS Word competed with Word Perfect for dominance back in the early to mid 1980's. Maybe before you were born? So the standard was set by WordPerfect, especially WP 5.2. MS won that competition and now the standard is Microsoft.

Linux is an OS, a tool, nothing more, nothing less. It should be able to do what people want it to do. It should not limit us to Open Source alone. That's why we have Wine. If you are an Open Source purist and have no need for compatibility, uninstall Wine and go ahead with Open Source. For the rest of us in the business world with real clients to support that are not tied to Open Source, we get to use the tools that meet our essential requirements.

My $0.02
    JK

Excellent @jpkirk first i did not reply to @strokerace because its useless to tell anyone who don't know even the way to talk. Some points i would also like to share with all.

1) The information we share here is for everyone not for single person if you like it then use it or leave your feedback otherwise if you don't like close the post and move on.
    2) Whoever work in the offices including me knows that in all corporate offices they are using MS Office so for compatibility we have to use it in our own system no matter we wish or not.
    3) Where it has written that Linux users are not authorized to use any Microsoft or any other company tools / applications or why they provided us with default wine?
    4) We are the admins of our systems so we know what to add or what to not nobody can give us instructions or order.
    5) I believe that with the combination of Linux+Kali+Windows tools we can make our system more powerful.

Hope it will clear all the doubts and queries from the minds of those who think they are Linux Guru or expert but in reality they are nothing.

12. Unix came in 1979, Windows in 1985. LEO OS was back in '51. Many others in between. As for the original OP, I run a VM of Win 7 Basic in Kali for MS Office for compatibility as other eluded to as well as some Adobe products that I use often. Wine has always been buggy for me.
    Fact, Science and the Pursuit of Knowledge. Working to secure your networks from threats; Outside and Within.

how to install font for microsoft office on wine.

Kali 32 bit and Kali 64 bit are different…
    Step 1 – Insert your Office 2007 CD into the CD

Step 2 – Make 64 Bit into a multi architecture system.

Root Terminal

dpkg –add-architecture i386

apt-get update

apt-get install wine-bin:i386

This means you now have a multi architecture system and the Configure Wine option under System Tools.
    Step 3 – Set Vista in Wine

Applications > System Tools > Configure Wine

Application Tab

Select “XP” or “Vista”.

Click Apply

Step 4 – Run Office 2007

Places > Office 2007 CD > look for setup.exe

Right click Setup.exe > Open with Wine Windows Program Loader

Step 5 – Run Office 2007

Applications > Wine > Programs > Microsoft Office

All apps apart from Powerpoint will work.

Step 6 – Fix Powerpoint

Applications > System Tools > Configure wine

Libraries Tab

“New override for library”

Select “riched20.dll”, then click ADD

Click on the newly added “riched20.dll” file, click Edit and select “Native (Windows” option.

Step 7 – Launch Office 2007

Applications > Programs > Microsoft Office > Word

Good tutorial from the guy above me. MS Office is great imo, however the blinking cursor drives me totally nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman View Post

Step # 1.

Step # 2.

Step # 3.

Step # 4.

Enjoy
    Could you point where the setup.exe is created by default? I ran locate setup.exe in console but only found some other executables in the user shares.
    I followed your steps but it seems like the setup.exe wasn't creted for some reason.

Hi Drink,

Sorry if I have misunderstood your question.
    Setup.exe is the Windows executable... so it's part of the Office 2007 CD.

Step 4 – Run Office 2007

Places > Office 2007 CD > look for setup.exe

Right click Setup.exe > Open with Wine Windows Program Loader

Wine has ratings on each of the Office installers.
    http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...ication&iId=31

So using Office 2007 or 2003 is quite important... as is avoiding office 2013 - as that's rated as "garbage".

Hope that helps.