Thread: Do I need to install a firewall and antivirus?

Do I need to install a firewall and antivirus?

Hello,

I'm completely new to Linux. Do I need to install firewall and antivirus? Without a firewall am I safe and secure from intrusions?

If I wanted to learn hacking and programming with Kali to become a more sensible user of computers where should I start?

Please help. Thanks

Hello,

first if you completley new to Linux you shouldn't use Kali or be really careful. Try another distro and learn as much as you can about Linux and how it works. Also learn all about how computers communicate in networks. I guess it would be really difficult for you learn hacking and programming with Kali if there is no basic understanding off these things.
    On the other hand learning Linux is really easy and if you need any help pm to me

Now Your Question: Yes you can install a Firewall but this can disturb your Pentests in many cases. Also you can install an Antivirusprog but its not recommended cause of the many Scripts and Exploits including in this Distro (lots off trouble)

Hope that helps und excuse my english

I installed comodo antivirus and did a scan and came up with 2437 threats... suspicious this absurdly high number has to do with the pen testing apps within Kali I am hesitant to take action in fear of ruining many pen testing apps. Am I correct? It seams like it may be a huge undertaking to add exceptions for all the "treats" that are needed for Kali's apps to work properly and keep up with it after updates as well... if that could be done then the antivirus software could look for things that are an actual contracted threat? I spent allot of time trying to get this antivirus software to work and now I fear it all may have been a major waste of time although I've found multiple sources online about how to install antivirus software on Kali I'm starting to think this may be a case of "don't beleave everything you read on the internet" I would love some feedback on this.

I've been using Kali (and BackTrack before that) for many years. Never used antivirus, or firewall software (aside from some iptables rules when needed). Toqu82 is correct, any antimalware software will likely mess with tools in Kali.

@xorslideshow, I second Toqu82's post...you should definitely start with another distro (Ubuntu, Mint, etc). Kali is very daunting for those new to Linux.

Quote Originally Posted by Toqu82 View Post
    ...Now Your Question: Yes you can install a Firewall but this can disturb your Pentests in many cases. Also you can install an Antivirusprog but its not recommended cause of the many Scripts and Exploits including in this Distro (lots off trouble)

Hope that helps und excuse my english
    I agree but would like to add... I would recommend having 2 OS drives. One to play around with the learning curve and the other for operational readiness. This way if you mistakenly make a critical error, to the play around one, you can just reinstall and start over without loosing other important data.
    The other, being the operational readiness one, I would recommend installing a firewall and anti-virus.
    Believe me, you'll thank me later.

Don't assume or leave anything to chance.

I was just goin to ask about the dual boot process you guys are saying that kali is not intended for day to day internet actions like banking music whathave you i just discovered i have the accessemailonline malware im generally pretty carefull any one have any suggestions i was considering installing avira and running it through wine if and when i needed it any thoughts on that thanks

Quote Originally Posted by calihounm View Post
    I was just goin to ask about the dual boot process you guys are saying that kali is not intended for day to day internet actions like banking music whathave you i just discovered i have the accessemailonline malware im generally pretty carefull any one have any suggestions i was considering installing avira and running it through wine if and when i needed it any thoughts on that thanks
    Malwares which are made for windows don't work in linux. Malwares that comes with phishing mails don't work in linux. Malware that is attached with the pdf and gets self-executed when you open pdf doesn't work in linux. Avira which you are using is made to prevent malwares for windows so it's useless in linux. That virus will work in linux which is based on current exploits running in linux and browsers and such virus has to be designed to work in linux. Anti-virus for linux can't prevent zero day attacks.

Quote Originally Posted by jp400motox View Post
    I installed comodo antivirus and did a scan and came up with 2437 threats... suspicious this absurdly high number has to do with the pen testing apps within Kali I am hesitant to take action in fear of ruining many pen testing apps. Am I correct? It seams like it may be a huge undertaking to add exceptions for all the "treats" that are needed for Kali's apps to work properly and keep up with it after updates as well... if that could be done then the antivirus software could look for things that are an actual contracted threat? I spent allot of time trying to get this antivirus software to work and now I fear it all may have been a major waste of time although I've found multiple sources online about how to install antivirus software on Kali I'm starting to think this may be a case of "don't beleave everything you read on the internet" I would love some feedback on this.
    Those are false positives. AV will detect a lot of pentesting tools. If you ever use metasploit to create binaries, it will detect a lot of those too. For example, one reason is that a lot of tools are dropped by the attacker onto a penetrated system for pivoting into other neighboring systems from that one.

Don't need a firewall, just learn about services (like ssh), how to see whats running (like with netstat), and limit your attack surface this way. Also, don't even bother with antivirus. It just increases your attack surface by adding another layer that can have vulnerabilities / 0 days / needs updates.

Quote Originally Posted by Personal View Post
    I agree but would like to add... I would recommend having 2 OS drives. One to play around with the learning curve and the other for operational readiness. This way if you mistakenly make a critical error, to the play around one, you can just reinstall and start over without loosing other important data.
    The other, being the operational readiness one, I would recommend installing a firewall and anti-virus.
    Believe me, you'll thank me later.

Don't assume or leave anything to chance.
    True, I have 2 OSs in my PC-one is Ubuntu 14.0.4, and the other is Kali Linux...It is perfect for me..