Thread: Pen testing my wireless AP - BSSID Not Associated.

Cool Pen testing my wireless AP - BSSID Not Associated.

Hi,

I'm currently studying a certificate 4 in Networking and my lecturer has given me a copy of kali linux to have a look at / play around in. ( Note: My question is not for an assignment or anything of the sort, simply because I am interested in learning a little about kali linux )

I am duel booting Windows and Kali Linux via the GRUB boot loader.

I've tried to google this issue that I am having and it appears that it MAY be driver related but I am seeking further clarification / info.

This is the tutorial I am currently following:

http://lewiscomputerhowto.blogspot.c...with-kali.html

From checking my wireless card I've checked that it supports monitor and injection mode.

I can monitor the wireless AP's fine

My problem is that

When in monitor mode - it shows the stations MAC addresses but not the MAC of the BSSID that the station is connected two it always stated: BSSID ( Not associated ) and I definately have other perhipals connected to the AP ( My ipad, another PC ), the wireless signal strength is strong aswels.

My wireless adapter is: realtek rtl8723ae

If someone could help me out or point me in the right direction, I would really appreciate it as I've spent pretty much the last 24 hours trying to figure this out.

I am also new to using kali linux.

What are you using ? airodump ?
    lock airodump on the specific bssid and channel and it will show the clients connected to it

Hi there,

Add a screen shot (blank out the ends of the Mac addresses)

I don't really understand your problem and that will help
    chown -R us ./base

Hi guys,

Thanks for the responses.

I hope my response is somewhat clearer on the issue I am having

1. Logged onto kali linux as ' root '
    2. Open up terminal
    3. airmon-ng check kill ( kills off processes that may interfer with airodump-ng )
    4. airmon-ng start wlan0 ( enables monitor mode on mon0 )
    5. ifconfig wlan0 down ( fixes issue with channels showing as -1 )
    6. airodump-ng mon0 ( lists the wireless networks ) ( see screen shot below )

SS1.jpg

Where it states ( Not associated ) next to my station MAC address which is my ipad, it is not associating any BSSID to that MAC which I believe should be the device that my wireless signal is coming from.

Once I have done that I then do

airodump-ng -c 1 --bssid "MAC of my wireless device" -w /root/Desktop/ mon0 ( see next screen shot ) and I get nothing coming up here, even when I disconnect my ipad and a different PC and re-connect them to the wireless.

ss2.jpg

Note: my device that is distrubiting the wireless signal and all my other perhipals connected to the device and really close together.

You need to replace "MAC of my wireless device" with the MAC address of the access point. You are trying to scan the client itself. You need to scan the router and it will show the devices connected to it.

Quote Originally Posted by 0pt1mus View Post
    You need to replace "MAC of my wireless device" with the MAC address of the access point. You are trying to scan the client itself. You need to scan the router and it will show the devices connected to it.
    Hi

Hmm I thought I was using the Mac address on the access point.

If it makes any difference it is a hotspot on my mobile phone that is distributing the wireless signal.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
    Hi

Hmm I thought I was using the Mac address on the access point.

If it makes any difference it is a hotspot on my mobile phone that is distributing the wireless signal.
    Hi all

This is resolved I was wrong in saying my 8723ae driver was compatible I purchased a tl wn722n and I now get appropriate Mac addresses being associated.

Thanks

You don't need to do airmon-ng start wlan0
    if you have killed all the processes that interfere with airodump

Just type airoudump-ng wlan0

it will give you better power because you are putting the whole card in monitor mode
    not just a part of it ( mon0 )

Hello, I'm new here =)

I'm having the same issue here. I was trying to capture the traffic on my own Network but couldn't get any data packet, only beacon, probe request and probe response frames. Airodump-ng can't detect any associated devices event though I know some of them are. I tried to capture on wireshark and tcpdump and set Airodump to capture only the AP channel and bssid, same outcome.

My wireless card is Broadcom BCM4312 with b43 drive, I believe it has something to do with it even though a had set it to monitor mode successfully.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance. =)

Quote Originally Posted by DeEqualsDos View Post
    You don't need to do airmon-ng start wlan0
    if you have killed all the processes that interfere with airodump

Just type airoudump-ng wlan0

it will give you better power because you are putting the whole card in monitor mode
    not just a part of it ( mon0 )
    Nice one..

Hello ShivaKali, I've NEVER had any success with ANY onboard laptop wifi card. Get a usb adapter, this one off Ebay is cheap and terrific:
    X-Media NE-WN3212D
    (b g n only... for 5 ghz band a and ac, well, I've never had any success with 5 ghz either)