Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Macbook Pro Kali + Mac OS Dual Boot Install Guide & WiFi Guide

Thanks, I did it with a dvd.

works perfectly for me

WIFI guide does not work for USB persistence users now !

You will have to manually install 4.3.0 headers from http://ftp.tku.edu.tw/kali/pool/main/l/linux/

Smile Installing Wireless Without Internet

Quote Originally Posted by Dave74 View Post
    How can I install the Broadcom BCM43 drivers on Kali if I am not connected or can not connect to the internet?
    Thanks
    To install drivers without internet, I did the following:

1. I used this link to find out what drivers I needed https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...Driver/bcm43xx, luckily for me I could just use the Broadcom Proprietary Driver (bcmwl-kernel-source)
    2. I ran this command to check which Broadcom wireless chipset I had:
      Code:
      lspci -vvnn | grep -A 9 Network
    3. That command told me I had a BCM4360 chipset, so I could just use the bcmwl-kernel-source package mentioned in the link above.
    4. I downloaded the latest Ubuntu version of the package (works on debian distros) from here: http://launchpadlibrarian.net/226723...ntu8_amd64.deb
    5. Install the package with the following command:
      Code:
      sudo dpkg -i Desktop/bcmwl-kernel-source_6.30.223.248+bdcom-0ubuntu8_amd64.deb
    6. When I tried to install it I got the following output:
      Code:
      (Reading database ... 299163 files and directories currently installed.)
      Preparing to unpack .../bcmwl-kernel-source_6.30.223.248+bdcom-0ubuntu8_amd64.deb ...
      Removing all DKMS Modules
      Done.
      Unpacking bcmwl-kernel-source (6.30.223.248+bdcom-0ubuntu8) over (6.30.223.248+bdcom-0ubuntu0.2) ...
      Setting up bcmwl-kernel-source (6.30.223.248+bdcom-0ubuntu8) ...
      Loading new bcmwl-6.30.223.248+bdcom DKMS files...
      Building only for 4.3.0-kali1-amd64
      Building for architecture x86_64
      Module build for the currently running kernel was skipped since the
      kernel source for this kernel does not seem to be installed.
      modprobe: FATAL: Module wl not found.
      update-initramfs: deferring update (trigger activated)
      Processing triggers for initramfs-tools (0.120) ...
      update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-4.3.0-kali1-amd64
      bradley@kali:~$ sudo modprobe -r b43 ssb wl brcmfmac brcmsmac bcma
      modprobe: FATAL: Module wl not found.
    7. OK, I don't have the kernel source. So let's find out how to get it. I first ran this command to get the kernel release version:
      Code:
      uname -r
      This gave me the output:
      Code:
      4.3.0-kali1-amd64
      This means that we need the linux-headers-4.3.0-kali1-amd64 package, which I downloaded from here: http://http.kali.org/kali/pool/main/...ali4_amd64.deb. You will need a different headers package based on your release kernel.
    8. Once you've downloaded your linux-headers-* debian package, you'll need to go ahead and download it's dependencies before you install it. It's dependencies (for linux-headers-4.3.0-kali1-amd64) were the following:

9. Once you've got all the packages on your Linux machine you can go ahead and install the dependencies and then the linux-headers package:
      Code:
      sudo dpkg -i Desktop/linux-headers-4.3.0-kali1-common_4.3.3-5kali4_amd64.deb
      sudo dpkg -i Desktop/linux-kbuild-4.3_4.3.1-2kali1_amd64.deb
      sudo dpkg -i Desktop/linux-compiler-gcc-5-x86_4.3.3-5kali4_amd64.deb

sudo dpkg -i Desktop/linux-headers-4.3.0-kali1-amd64_4.3.3-5kali4_amd64.deb
      This should hopefully install successfully, fortunately I didn't have to do any debugging from this point on.
    10. Last but not least, you should be able to install the bcmwl-kernel-source package without issue:
      Code:
      sudo dpkg -i Desktop/bcmwl-kernel-source_6.30.223.248+bdcom-0ubuntu8_amd64.deb
    11. To test the driver (and remove the need for a computer restart) use:
      Code:
      sudo modprobe -r b43 ssb wl brcmfmac brcmsmac bcma
      sudo modprobe -v wl
    12. Allow several seconds for the network manager to scan for available networks before attempting a connection. Then click the top right menu (if using gnome) and there should be a wireless icon on the menu!
    13. If you try and connect to your wireless network and it won't accept the password, just restart the machine and everything will be good to go.

I hope this helps anyone who was struggling without an ethernet connection to install everything with

I have MacBook Pro (Retina, 15, mid 2014) and that it worked for me like a charm! Thanks snivels!

Quote Originally Posted by snivels View Post
    To install drivers without internet, I did the following:
    ...[*] Once you've got all the packages on your Linux machine you can go ahead and install the dependencies and then the linux-headers package:
    Code:
    sudo dpkg -i Desktop/linux-headers-4.3.0-kali1-common_4.3.3-5kali4_amd64.deb
    sudo dpkg -i Desktop/linux-kbuild-4.3_4.3.1-2kali1_amd64.deb
    sudo dpkg -i Desktop/linux-compiler-gcc-5-x86_4.3.3-5kali4_amd64.deb
    I have Macbook Air 2013 with BCM 4360. So I downloaded wifi drivers for BCM 4360:
    bcmwl-kernel-source_6.30.223.248+bdcom-0ubuntu11_amd64.deb

Kali 'uname -r' is 4.6.0 amd64
    I downloaded all needed packages from http://http.kali.org/kali/pool/main/l/linux/:

linux-headers-4.6.0-kali1-common_4.6.4-1kali1_amd64.deb
    linux-kbuild-4.6_4.6.4-1kali1_amd64.deb
    linux-compiler-gcc-5-x86_4.6.4-1kali1_amd64.deb
    linux-headers-4.6.0-kali1-amd64_4.6.4-1kali1_amd64.deb

on step to install compiler i have error:

Code:
    root@kali:~# sudo dpkg -i '/media/root/Exchange/123/linux-compiler-gcc-5-x86_4.6.4-1kali1_amd64.deb' 
    (Reading database ... 315381 files and directories currently installed.)
    Preparing to unpack .../linux-compiler-gcc-5-x86_4.6.4-1kali1_amd64.deb ...
    Unpacking linux-compiler-gcc-5-x86 (4.6.4-1kali1) over (4.6.4-1kali1) ...
    dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of linux-compiler-gcc-5-x86:
     linux-compiler-gcc-5-x86 depends on gcc-5; however:
      Package gcc-5 is not installed.

dpkg: error processing package linux-compiler-gcc-5-x86 (--install):
     dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
    Errors were encountered while processing:
     linux-compiler-gcc-5-x86
    How to fix that or install gcc 5? Kali now has gcc 6 and i dont know how to resolve...

Quote Originally Posted by pirate_tony View Post
    How to fix that or install gcc 5? Kali now has gcc 6 and i dont know how to resolve...
    I've now got wireless working with Kali 4.6 on my 2013 Macbook Air.

snivels instructions worked great although I also needed extra packages for cpp-5, gcc-5, and dkms, to be installed before the bcmwl-kernel-source. I used the following versions:

Thanks snivels!

Quote Originally Posted by suptt View Post
    Great post! I was able to get Kali up and running with wifi on my 2015 MBP; however, now I am unable to boot into OSX. I press and hold Option to get to rEFIND boot menu but when I select OSX it takes a few mins and then I get a circle with a line through it. Any help would be great!
    I am new to the forum, mainly because this is the first time I've had any problem with Kali. Did you ever solve this issue? If so, how? I have been trying to figure it out for a week. I have tried everything I can think of and everything I have found online is essentially useless. The actual guide for dual booting on a mac is outdated. I think it's a mapping issue, but everything I find online about that leads me back to square one. Any help with this? Is there another topic on this issue somewhere? I've tried searching and that just led me to this forum.

Im running Kali through the VirtualBox,
    MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2013)
    3 GHz Intel Core i7
    8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

When running Ispci through the terminal I don't get any reference to my wireless adapter, so cannot ascertain which Broadcom if any i need to be installing the drivers for?

Quote Originally Posted by judev View Post
    I've now got wireless working with Kali 4.6 on my 2013 Macbook Air.

snivels instructions worked great although I also needed extra packages for cpp-5, gcc-5, and dkms, to be installed before the bcmwl-kernel-source. I used the following versions:

Thanks snivels!
    How did you go about installing the extra packages completely new to this