Thread: Kali oclHashcat v1.36 fail

Kali oclHashcat v1.36 fail

Hello all,

As stated in the title, I am failing when trying to finish installing oclHashcat. Running on x64 bit, and have been folowing this tutorial http://www.blackmoreops.com/2014/06/...le-cuda-pyrit/ up to step 8 - where I start getting errors. I am somewhat new to Linux, after 20 years with Microsoft I have decided it was time to move on to a platform that didn't limit or restrict what I could do...

Here is some of my terminal info upto the problem.

root@kali:~# pyrit list_cores
    Pyrit 0.4.0 (C) 2008-2011 Lukas Lueg http://pyrit.googlecode.com
    This code is distributed under the GNU General Public License v3+

The following cores seem available...
    #1: 'CUDA-Device #1 'GeForce GTX 560 Ti''
    #2: 'CPU-Core (SSE2)'
    #3: 'CPU-Core (SSE2)'
    #4: 'CPU-Core (SSE2)'
    root@kali:~# apt-get install oclhashcat oclhashcat-plus
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    oclhashcat is already the newest version.
    The following NEW packages will be installed:
    oclhashcat-plus
    0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    Need to get 0 B/12.0 kB of archives.
    After this operation, 36.9 kB of additional disk space will be used.
    Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
    Selecting previously unselected package oclhashcat-plus.
    (Reading database ... 338819 files and directories currently installed.)
    Unpacking oclhashcat-plus (from .../oclhashcat-plus_1.36-0kali0_all.deb) ...
    Setting up oclhashcat-plus (1.36-0kali0) ...
    Building dependency tree
    oclhashcat-plus is already the newest version.
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    Building dependency tree
    oclhashcat-plus is already the newest version.
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    root@kali:~# dpkg -i cudaHashcat-1.36.deb
    dpkg: error processing cudaHashcat-1.36.deb (--install):
    cannot access archive: No such file or directory
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    cudaHashcat-1.36.deb

Any help or fix for this problem would be greatly appreciated, if any more info is needed please let me know.

I'm not sure what you are trying to do. You have a NVIDIA GPU and have installed oclhashcat (oclhashcat is only for ATI devices)

You want cudahashcat. Where did you get the 1.36 deb for cudahashcat? the most obvious problem you are having is "cannot access archive: No such file or directory". You need to cd to the directory that has the archive in it.
    chown -R us ./base

Quote Originally Posted by staticn0de View Post
    I'm not sure what you are trying to do. You have a NVIDIA GPU and have installed oclhashcat (oclhashcat is only for ATI devices)

You want cudahashcat. Where did you get the 1.36 deb for cudahashcat? the most obvious problem you are having is "cannot access archive: No such file or directory". You need to cd to the directory that has the archive in it.

http://hashcat.net/oclhashcat/

I'm completely stupid apparently when it comes to Linux. I tried using the info from the website i listed in my first post, but I still got stuck on step 8 with the same problem. I also tried downloading the file from hashcat website, but it came in a folder and I had no clue how to install it. IDK how to change or install files without some sort of tutorial or someone telling me how to do it, I got tired of windows, and I didn't care for Ubuntu, but I absolutely LOVE Kali - I just wish I knew how to use it. The only downside is whenever I try to find a "How To" video - it ALWAYS has to do with hacking, not installing, not navigating, JUST HACKING lol. I admit, I love the Kali platform because I've aspired to learn the ways of a pentester, and I started learning different languages on PC. To many times have I seen that a Unix platform was the way to go when learning programing and markup languages, especially for what I want to use them for hopefully in the future.

BACK TO THE PROBLEM!

But yeah, when I downloaded oclHashcat through the terminal, it vanished, I couldnt find it anywhere; root, downloads, apt, desktop, etc.etc.etc. It is VERY frustrating to not be able to install a program on a computer when I haven't had that problem in 10 years (because so adept with a PC).

Quote Originally Posted by Harbenger View Post
    http://hashcat.net/oclhashcat/

I'm completely stupid apparently when it comes to Linux. I tried using the info from the website i listed in my first post, but I still got stuck on step 8 with the same problem. I also tried downloading the file from hashcat website, but it came in a folder and I had no clue how to install it. IDK how to change or install files without some sort of tutorial or someone telling me how to do it, I got tired of windows, and I didn't care for Ubuntu, but I absolutely LOVE Kali - I just wish I knew how to use it. The only downside is whenever I try to find a "How To" video - it ALWAYS has to do with hacking, not installing, not navigating, JUST HACKING lol. I admit, I love the Kali platform because I've aspired to learn the ways of a pentester, and I started learning different languages on PC. To many times have I seen that a Unix platform was the way to go when learning programing and markup languages, especially for what I want to use them for hopefully in the future.

BACK TO THE PROBLEM!

But yeah, when I downloaded oclHashcat through the terminal, it vanished, I couldnt find it anywhere; root, downloads, apt, desktop, etc.etc.etc. It is VERY frustrating to not be able to install a program on a computer when I haven't had that problem in 10 years (because so adept with a PC).
    Well, I package cudahashcat up and release it in my nvidia + optimus thread

https://forums.kali.org/showthread.p...ll=1#post35240

I'm compressing the 1.36 version now so if your interested you can use 1.35 from that thread or wait for 1.36 to be uploaded.

Otherwise, the names on the hashcat website are a bit misleading. You want http://hashcat.net/files/cudaHashcat-1.36.7z

Edit: I just looked at the guide you are using. Step 8 is actually pointing at one of my debs (note that my names mentioned). The link in that guide is for cudahashcat-1.31. You ran a command to try and install 1.36 (the version i'm uploading now, so you can't have my deb yet) which is why you received a 'file not found'
    Last edited by staticn0de; 2015-04-30 at 12:46.
    chown -R us ./base

Otherwise, the names on the hashcat website are a bit misleading. You want http://hashcat.net/files/cudaHashcat-1.36.7z
    a bit misleading? You are so polite my friend I'd call it complete confusion.
    Kali Linux USB Installation using LinuxLive USB Creator
    Howto Install HDD Kali on a USB Key
    Clean your laptop fan | basic knowledge

It's no problem to use new cudaHashcat 1.36. Just unpack cudaHashcat-1.36.7z to your directory (for example "root") Next in terminal cd to this directory and run cudaHashcat with options you need:
    Code:
    cd /root/cudaHashcat-1.36
    cudaHashcat64  [options]

Well, I package cudahashcat up and release it in my nvidia + optimus thread

https://forums.kali.org/showthread.p...ll=1#post35240

I'm compressing the 1.36 version now so if your interested you can use 1.35 from that thread or wait for 1.36 to be uploaded.

Edit: I just looked at the guide you are using. Step 8 is actually pointing at one of my debs (note that my names mentioned). The link in that guide is for cudahashcat-1.31. You ran a command to try and install 1.36 (the version i'm uploading now, so you can't have my deb yet) which is why you received a 'file not found'
    Yeah, I know who you are lol. The link to your guide there is when I started getting hella confused lol - not saying it wasn't good, just not as noob/dumb friendly as BMO's guides lol. Apparently I get everything right, up to the point where I have to download hashcat and hashcat+. So I guess step 7 on BMO's walk through is where I really get stuck.

I've never used the optirun command...
    IDK what the deb sums are, or for, or how to use/apply them.
    And I'm guessing that I download from the link, then use the dpkg -i cudahashcat-1.35.deb to start the process (from the link you posted)
    Told you I was a Newb.. lol