Thread: Acer Aspire E11 Installation problems

Acer Aspire E11 Installation problems

I have an Acer Aspire E11-112-C2YE that I recently purchased and upgraded the ram to Crucial 8GB DDR3, and the hard drive to Kingston Technology 240GB SSD. I downloaded the normal Kali image 1.10a and verified the download and it was correct. I then created a bootable USB and went onto installing it onto the E11. The installation goes fine, but after logging in with the correct details the whole machine freezes. All I can see is the Kali background picture and my cursor. I can move the cursor for about 10 seconds then the whole thing hangs and I have to do a Hard shutdown to restart the machine. I followed the guide on the website on how to install Kali on the machine however it still doesn't work. Funnily though when I boot into live mode off the USB everything works perfectly fine, minus the drivers for the wifi etc but at least I can boot into Kali. Does anybody have any insight on what could be causing the problem?

What happens when you repeat the installation steps? E.g. reformat partition & reinstall

All normal stuff, I choose to install kali on guided entire disk, and have my home folder in one location. Ive attached the screenshots of what my partition looks like and an error message when the installation is completed, forcing me to hard reset.

This may seem like a stupid question, but which Kali ISO are you trying to load? In one of your screen shots, it list the AMD iso. I did a little research on your laptop model. I didn't find much except that most of the E11 series that looked at all had Pentiums in them. Didn't find one with AMD.

on the downloads page I downloaded the normal ISO 64bit via torrent, the SHA1Sum is fine.

I'm going to try the 64bit version myself. I currently have the 32bit. Do you get the same result with the mini iso install?

Quote Originally Posted by mevzx View Post
    I have an Acer Aspire E11-112-C2YE - The installation goes fine, but after logging in with the correct details the whole machine freezes. All I can see is the Kali background picture and my cursor. I can move the cursor for about 10 seconds then the whole thing hangs and I have to do a Hard shutdown to restart the machine.
    this happens for me as well i have a new Aspire ES1-512-C7LZ and i get exactly the errors you describe however i to run Kali from an USB to get this error i try both the 32/64 bit system and with or without failsafe from the usb or from installs i get the same errors except when i use DVD disk then it freeze just before the login window pop up, also i if don´t login everything seems to work as it should except that it don´t show the local disk icon as it use to when its suppose to work

i did be happy if there is an solution to this since google dint help me!

"Gerry Gavigan 2 months ago
    This model is not yet compatible with Linux. As I found to my cost, yes it works with a live USB stick but unfortunately with the installed version the eMMC trips up the kernel (to 3.19) It would be a service to your viewers to highlight this http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel.mmc/28281"

That doesn't mean there is no work around (dts-add-esdhc-weird-voltage-bits-workaround.patch), have u tried creating an iso with bare minimal on it? Gentoo way of doing things, get the command prompt, work slowley from there?

well, i cant test the 64bit on my machines b/c none of them are 64bit. even attempting to install the 64bit version doesnt go very far at all, which is good. sooooo... mind doing one more fresh install on the machine but this time using the 32bit version?