Thread: awus036h not getting handshake

awus036h not getting handshake

Hello everyone, i'm having problems with my alfa 036h and kali.
    I've being using it without problems with vmware fusion for a while but after installing latest kali version i'm not able anymore to capture handshakes.

I have my router not broadcasting the essid, without mac filter and i have 2 stations ready to connect, i run airodump writing to a capture file and start monitoring the network.
    I've tried both deauth attack and manually detaching from the AP and connecting again (so the handshake should be captured).
    I'm less than 1m away from the AP so signal strength should not be a problem.

Wifite hadn't worked either, injection test are successful and my card is in monitor mode, no negative one error, tested on 2 different computers (vmware and fisical pc) i don't know what i'm missing.

Maybe any config error?
    I don't think is an adapter problem as it has worked for a long time without problems before upgrading to latest kali, but i want to test it to asure its working fine (i only know how to test if monitor mode and injection works, maybe anyone can help my testing other card issues that can cause trouble).

i have just noticed that using the previous version (after doing dis-upgrade) airmon also creates an interface called 'wlan0mon' instead of mon0 as it used to, it also broadcasts:
    (mac80211 monitor mode vif enabled for [phy1]wlan0 on [phy1]wlan0mon)
    (mac80211 station mode vif disabled for [phy1]wlan0)
    and when running airodump
    fixed channel wlan0mon
    is shown in the upper right corner and the number is changing continuously (even with -c 11 and iwconfig channel 11 set).

After a time trying to fix this issue i think the problem is with the handshake i'm getting, if i lookup the capture file with wireshark i can see few eapol packets, but they are only 2 and 4 packets of the handshake (tried with different STA and AP) and always getting the same part of the authentication, but i don't know where the problem came from.

Most part of the traffic is also sniffed so i don't what is wrong, and as i said before i have used this method for a time without problems....

None troubleshooting guide/other post about the same have helped me

I just posted the monitor mode fix here https://forums.kali.org/showthread.p...ll=1#post45315

You have to type it every time you boot up or plug in a wifi card though. I don't know what config files control iw's interfaces.

Somehow mon0 has been erased from alot of our kali and nethunter installs. "iw dev wlan0 interface add mon0 type monitor" tells iw to add an interface to the device wlan0, call it mon0, and make it a monitor interface. So airmon will create mon0 again. As soon as you reboot or remove that wifi card tho, it's back to wlan0mon til you type it again. Apparently the "man iw" pretty much tells you step by step how to create interfaces like that, I just don't know where the config file is to make it stick like /etc/network/interfaces for ifconfig

The great thing about Linux is there's always a file that does what you need, the problems just finding it sometimes lol. I'm sure someone in the next day or 2 will notice the issue and point out where the file is.
    Last edited by kpoeticg; 2015-05-12 at 12:46.