Thread: Recommended Hardware for Kali?

Question Recommended Hardware for Kali?

Hey all,

I have a couple laptops floating about at work, but I was curious, is there a recommended set of hardware that will run everything right out-of-the-box? I was specifically thinking something along the lines of a Chromebook, due to the general low cost and small size/weight. I know they obviously run ChromeOS, though some can be made to run Ubuntu, or some other flavor of Linux, and a few can be made to run Windows (mostly the Intel-based ones).

Thinking of buying an older Thinkpad X120e or similar just to play around with, and Kali is one of the distros I am thinking of installing permanently. If I need to, I can just buy a WiFi card that will work in it, I suppose.

Thanks for any input!

Personally I would recommend for hardware is any computer that has a AMD Processor, Nvidia Graphics Card, and a build in wireless card that supports monitor mode. AMD and Nvidia are easier to deal with having kali in general because of linux support in general. No specific computer I can state but those are the aspects I look at for any hardware I buy to put kali on it.

The top three suppliers for linux machines are HP, Dell and Lenovo. They all offer a Linux option and should generally be compatible.
    However, I would recommend sticking with a basic system with minimal gimics i.e. no unneccessary hardware.
    I'm running Kali on a Lenovo Carbon X1/2G and apart from the finger print reader, everything works OK including wireless monitor mode on Intel Card.

Sweet! Thanks for the info!

A shame they don't make high resolution subnotebooks anymore (10-12", maybe even 13") that aren't hideously expensive. At least from HP, Dell, Lenovo that I've looked at Either they are stripped down, plastic Chromebooks, or uncustomizable before purchase (for faster/more cores, more RAM, etc).

I am not sure what WiFi card will come equipped in my (future) X120e, but I believe stock it's using a Realtek chipset, so should work alright with Kali.

I've just picked up a Lenovo X201 - i5 2.4GHz and 4GB RAM for £100.

Bigger than a netbook, small and lightweight, well built!

Right-o, finally got it installed (not using the 'official' Win32 Disk Imager) on the laptop.

Looks like I'm gonna have to go find a BIOS that has the Lenovo whitelist removed. Thinking of an Intel 6250 for dual-band N; anything better out there? I know I can probably use one of the other antennae meant for the WWAN.

I wonder if I can still find an X240 with a FHD screen for cheap-ish....?

Hey JT, did you have any issues, or hear of any issues with the install process failing while copying system files to the HDD? I have a thinkpad x120e that i love, but while trying to install kali (currently ubuntu 12.04) i get the same error while its actually in the copy process... wondered if you had the same issue...

Quote Originally Posted by threeIndexZero View Post
    Hey JT, did you have any issues, or hear of any issues with the install process failing while copying system files to the HDD? I have a thinkpad x120e that i love, but while trying to install kali (currently ubuntu 12.04) i get the same error while its actually in the copy process... wondered if you had the same issue...
    Not that I can recall at the moment. I did spend a good few weeks tweaking and reinstalling a few times when I messed up. What part are you getting stuck on? What settings are you using before it gets stuck?