Thread: Looking for something small and light that runs Kali well

Looking for something small and light that runs Kali well

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for something small and light to run Kali on and there's just too much to chose from. Convertibles, tablets, chromebooks. What I'm looking for is something that runs Kali really well in terms of compatibility. If I'd buy a tablet, I would need a separate keyboard for it, which should be compatible, too. One chromebook I'm eyeing is the Acer Chromebook CB5 with Nvidia Tegra proc. Has anyone any experience with this one or with any other device?

I'd really appreciate some feedback.

Greetings,
    Strangelove

Old-ish thread but the ASUS transformer pads are very good. You can pick up a Transformer Pad tf700 Infinity with docking for like $200 now (used to be >$800)

I worked a lot with their older eeePC series which gave you a tiny laptop with wifi, wired ethernet and 8h battery life (while actively working on the device). However, those got a bit dated as they have no touch screen and fairly low resolution (1024x768), no hw accelleration, and not very exotic with their x86 chipset.

Contrary to their eeePC predecessors, the transformer pads have this going for them:

- Touch screen
    - 1920x1200 resolution
    - ARM Nvidia Tegra 3 so awesome HW accelleration.
    - I have images for Kali, debian, Ubuntu, Xubuntu, and android which you can all multiboot through a GRUB-style boot menu and can be shared with you.
    - Almost always get >14h of battery life actively working, starting in the morning and going on all through the evening.

Now, the downsides are:
    - Fairly difficult area, you enter into a world of rooting your device and flashing roms, building kernels en ramdisks. That is true for all devices you listed.
    - Works best so far with Chromi-X 5.4 (Android JB 4.2.1 which is not the latest)
    - Nvidia open source support for Tegra is "not so good" IMO, haven't gotten it to work on anything other than ubuntu. X still works using stock drivers but no accelleration on Kali.
    - Only wifi, no wired ethernet. Not really needed but just so you know.

Hope that helps, and if you find more good devices then please do share your findings!