root@kali:~# glxinfo | grep -i "direct rendering"
direct rendering: Yes
root@kali:~#

Ayy : )

I just got through installling/setting up Kali fro the first time, and after f*ing with gentoo for years this was largely fast and automated. By far the biggest hurdle was setting up nvidia drivers and 3d rendering.. I had a problem caused by an integrated card being configured over my preffered one.. after multiple searchers it appeared I wasn't alone.

This wasn't my first rodio though, I was reminded of building a stage 1 tarball on an ancient (win 95) toshiba a few years back, remember that one that had the screen attached that you could turn into portrait mode? Well, it was a long night..

Aside from frustration, I left that debacle with a slightly better understanding of the xorg script, that may help some people.

Source: https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Xorg/Ha...Configure_Xorg

An lspci | grep VGA, should reveal a PCI Bus ID (digits left of VGA)

root@kali:~# lspci | grep VGA
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GT216 [NVS 5100M] (rev a2)
root@kali:~#

Note this down and manually create an xorg.conf

Code:
vim /etc/X11/xorg.conf
in it, you'll want something resembling this..

Code:
Section "Device"
  Identifier "My Screen 1"
  Device "My Video Card 1"
  Driver "nvidia"
  BusID "PCI:01:00:0"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
  Identifier "My Monitor 1"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
  Identifier "My Screen 1"
  Device "My Video Card 1"
EndSection
Device 'section', a Monitor 'section' and a Screen 'section'.. Syntax is pretty self explanitory, we are just creating a screen on a monior that uses a specified device (all we wanted right?)

Reboot and you should be taken to the login screen, seeing the nvidia logo as you start session.

Please let me know if this works for you, or not.

Tip; I saw people say they couldn't find nvidia-xconfig in repository, I imagine they were using apt-get, try "aptitude install nvidia-xconfig" instead... Running nvidia-xconfig could solve your problem without having to do all that typing.