Thread: Installing Kali on two separate SSDs - bug or failure?

Installing Kali on two separate SSDs - bug or failure?

Just just installed kali on 2 seperate SSD drives - both with the exact same credentials, as some sort of backup HDD.

Now to the "coincidence" ...

Everytime im done installing kali to the second drive with the exact same credentials fo rthe installation, the other drive gets corrupted.
    As soon as i switch the drive in my box (completely pluggin out the 1st and replace with the second, grub is corrupted.

Im neither new to linux not did i leave both drives plugged in, i orderly install kali to the drive, which is the only drive in the box at the moment, its really beyond me why a grub loader should get corrupted when unpluggin the a drive.

The fun part i went through this now for 2 times, ie, 4 blank installs. Now, after the 3rd failure i gave up on this until i figure what goes wrong.

The drives also have proper IO rates, s.m.a.r.t also has no signs of failure.

to reproduce:
    [LVM && encryption; guided]

2 SSD drives, 250gb chronos && 60gb kingston

1. plug only drive 1. to the box, install kali, pull updates/upgrades, install synaptic && thunderbird.
    2. reboot && püull over docs from a usb, orderly shutdown.

3. unplug the install drive, plugin drive 2.
    4. Install kali as described previously.
    5. Shutdown orderly, unplug drive 2. && plugin drive 1.
    6 Fire up the box
    7. "PLEASE INSERT PROPER BOOT MEDIA" or some similar msg.

is this a gigabyte motherboard? The author of the boot manager 'refind' mentioned that gigabyte uses a hybrid boot record. He states that "ESPs use the FAT filesystem, which is case-insensitive. Unfortunately, at least one EFI implementation (Gigabyte's Hybrid EFI) contains a bug that causes string comparisons that should be case-insensitive to actually be done in a case-sensitive way. "

Also modern motherboards have a UEFI (uses a EFI to boot from) as well as a BIOS (boots from a MBR) If your ssds were formatted prior to installing kali, its possible one of them has an MBR and confuses your motherboard.
    Last edited by bwana; 2015-05-24 at 06:14.