Thread: Fern Wifi Cracker - Probing for client macs problem

Fern Wifi Cracker - Probing for client macs problem

Hello everyone,
    I'm playing around with Kali in a home lab and right now I'm playing around with Fern Wifi Cracker. I'm having a problem with it in Kali that it will never detect any client mac addresses, it will just sit there forever at that step of the process. To make it stranger (for me at least), before I fire up Fern I can go use airmon-ng to manually enable monitor mode, then airodump-ng mon0 in order to see the clients all day long. But as soon as I fire up fern and select the wifi adapter with it, I can no longer see the clients even with airodump-ng until I reboot the system. I can only see clients that are not associated with a bssid after using fern once.

Also, I only have this problem on Fern 2.2 in Kali. If I use a copy of Backtrack 5r3 and Fern 1.6 on there, everything works fine. It immediately detects the clients and then I'm able to successfully use my test wordlist to decrypt the wifi key.

I'd really like to get this working on kali though. Oh and in case it matters, I've got this same problem on a VM kali (1.10) as well as a Raspberry Pi 2 installed with the Kali image for it (1.10 also).

Thanks for any advice / help!

If you think this bug is related to Kali Linux than I would recommend that you open a bug here: http://bugs.kali.org/my_view_page.php

Note that if this issue is related to the specific tool you are using you should be reporting this bug on their official website.