Thread: Booting Kali results in black screen after fresh install

Booting Kali results in black screen after fresh install

Hello everyone,

I just installed Kali on a laptop. Installation didn't result in any errors. Grub-efi also seems to work, booting Windows 8 isn't a problem. But when I try to boot into Kali, I only get a black screen. Right after selecting the grub entry for Kali. I retried installing it three times now and always landed at the same point. Is there a way I can fix that by manipulating the grub entry or with a Kali live USB stick?

Greetings

Edit: I should note that CTRL+ALT+DEL works on the black screen. Might have loaded the wrong driver. I'm on an Nvidia optimus graphic card.
    Last edited by Strangelove; 2015-05-23 at 02:48.

Quote Originally Posted by Strangelove View Post
    Hello everyone,

I just installed Kali on a laptop. Installation didn't result in any errors. Grub-efi also seems to work, booting Windows 8 isn't a problem. But when I try to boot into Kali, I only get a black screen. Right after selecting the grub entry for Kali. I retried installing it three times now and always landed at the same point. Is there a way I can fix that by manipulating the grub entry or with a Kali live USB stick?

Greetings

Edit: I should note that CTRL+ALT+DEL works on the black screen. Might have loaded the wrong driver. I'm on an Nvidia optimus graphic card.
    I am having the same problems in my VM on my mac OS X I haven't had a problem with Ubuntu or windows 7, so figuring this one out is a pain in the ares

I could really use some help here. I've tried reinstalling it with different USB sticks now, the same results with each of them. Also the Live USB doesn't work to well, it always hangs after a while. Unable to make partitions there.

My laptop is a MSI GE70 with a Samsung 850 Evo, i7, GTX870m, 8GB RAM. Windows runs without a problem. Also had other Linux distros installed before and wasn't a problem. Grub2 works fine. Kali just boots into a blank screen, though. Also there's no calculating going on in the background, hdds and proc both remain quite. I've made two new partitions, ext4 for / and a swap partition. Also used the already existing EFI partition as EFI partition. The installer doesn't give out any errors. There isn't a single error displayed anywhere. Alt+F1-F6 and Ctrl+Alt+F1-F6 doesn't show any results. I would gladly post any error messages, but there's really just one blank screen. Is it just that my laptop doesn't work with Kali?

I also verified the downloaded ISO and the hashkey was the right one.

Anybody any idea on what to do?

I'm also having quiet a few problems getting NVIDIA to work. The cause of this problem can possible be found in your Xorg.log file: /Var/Log/Xorg.0.log
    When you come to the point you only see a "black screen" you can press (Ctrl+Alt+F1) to come in tty1, there you fill in your login name and password. After you're loged in you can move the Xorg.log file with: mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bkp
    Once you've done this you can reboot and start Linux normal to find out what go's wrong

Ignore the mirror option you can update it later, if your running on a virtual box with the new version increase you allowed hard drive memory to 40. Increase virtual memory. and if these ideas don't work then run in a usb or temp mode and instal and update from there keeping all the other settings I said. Then look up the correct mirror and change it. Because I run proxied and have my IP switching constantly I kept getting errors. It still is having problems but at least its in a place I can run the command prompt and fix everything now. I think there are bugs with the new version and that not all the packets it downloads match up correctly. Even without a mirror in the initial boot you can still connect to the internet and download what you need. Just don't do any Hacking your vulnerable. Make sure you make the IP change, and, well I don't need to tell you the whole thing but ya. Im sure you know what your doing. Ive been fighting with this all night. Now that I am posting this someone else will reply ~"What the **** are you talking about don't listen to that idiot"~ like they always do on forums. But it worked for me, theres my advise. Lemme know how it goes.

does it boot into the recovery mode?

I am also having the same problem.

I did a fresh install of Kali 1.1.0 inside VirtualBox and after selecting the grub entry for Kali. I can boot into safe mode. Any suggestions on what I can do to fix this issue?

jar

Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    When you come to the point you only see a "black screen" you can press (Ctrl+Alt+F1) to come in tty1, there you fill in your login name and password.
    I can't even get into tty1, Ctrl+Alt+F1 (or F2-F6) doesn't do anything. I'm starting to suspect that the installation went completely wrong. I tried installing from different USB ports to see, if the problem comes from those, but the same problems there.

Quote Originally Posted by PhateZ View Post
    Ignore the mirror option you can update it later, if your running on a virtual box with the new version increase you allowed hard drive memory to 40. Increase virtual memory. and if these ideas don't work then run in a usb or temp mode and instal and update from there keeping all the other settings I said. Then look up the correct mirror and change it. Because I run proxied and have my IP switching constantly I kept getting errors. It still is having problems but at least its in a place I can run the command prompt and fix everything now. I think there are bugs with the new version and that not all the packets it downloads match up correctly. Even without a mirror in the initial boot you can still connect to the internet and download what you need. Just don't do any Hacking your vulnerable. Make sure you make the IP change, and, well I don't need to tell you the whole thing but ya. Im sure you know what your doing. Ive been fighting with this all night. Now that I am posting this someone else will reply ~"What the **** are you talking about don't listen to that idiot"~ like they always do on forums. But it worked for me, theres my advise. Lemme know how it goes.

I've tried that, but unfortunately didn't help neither. Also not installing into a virtual box, installing it on the hdd.

Might this be a problem of Kali 1.1.0? Should I try Kali 1.0.9 or wait for Kali 1.1.1?

Quote Originally Posted by bwana View Post
    does it boot into the recovery mode?
    Nope, same problem with recovery mode.

Installled 1.1.0, same problems, then 1.0.9a, same problems. Think I have to give up. No idea what to try.

Retried with 1.1.0a, now it doesn't even install Grub correctly anymore. Am I the only one with this problem? Might this be because of my laptop? Or is the Win32DiskImager not working correctly?

The last time when Grub was running, I went into the Grub console and it listed all files correctly installed with ls (hd0,gpt3)/. It's very weird.

I'll try burning it on a DVD next and hope for the best.

Ok, installed from DVD. Have to select Legacy mode in the BIOS to be able to boot from the DVD. Logically, Kali then expects it doesn't need to install in EFI mode. Can't include the EFI partition, can't install Grub in EFI mode. Maaaaaaaaaaan, is this just my laptop? Do I need to buy another one? Any alternative install options? Is there a Kali support I could contact?

I solved my issue by reinstalling Kali, corrupt download.

Quote Originally Posted by Strangelove View Post
    Retried with 1.1.0a, now it doesn't even install Grub correctly anymore. Am I the only one with this problem?
    No, same here...

Jar, which version did you reinstall? (1.1.0a?) I checked my download, it's not corrupt.

Well, ****.

I've redownloaded the ISO and made the USB stick now on my Win 7 desktop and it appeared to run a bit more stable at first. But after a while again completely unstable. Tried to chroot into the installed Kali and apt-get upgrade, upgraded everything, but didn't help with the black screen booting. Tried to reinstall Kali again, this time by making a second EFI partition, didn't help, still boots into black screen. Either Kali really has problems with EFI or with my USB chipset. I can't tell. If I at least had error messages, then I had something to work with.

Might installing Debian and transofrming it into Kali be an option?
    Last edited by g0tmi1k; 2015-08-12 at 09:56. Reason: Swearing

I had many of the same problems as everyone else. Spent an entire weekend trying to get EFI to boot, though legacy worked fine but after install had the same Grub/boot menu issue as everyone else. I was using a 4GB USB2.0 stick, which seemed to work fine. Went to Costco this weekend and picked up two 32GB USB3.0's for $20, and used either Win32 Installer or Rufus to make another virgin 1.1.1a ISO/USB stick and worked like a charm. Didn't have to add or modify files on the USB after. Booted into EFI-USB and the Kali menu came up to let me install. Now I have other issues, but its installed. (With Win8.1)

Lightbulb

Me, i solved the problem of black screen ,
    by install the grub again , as :

Code:
    grub-install --boot-directory="/path/to/boot_dir" /dev/sd??

After this everything works just fine.
    Last edited by prompt_32; 2015-06-15 at 22:41.