Thread: Dual Boot?

Dual Boot?

So I lost windows and the command to download screenshot programs from terminal isn't working so don't ask for any, I followed ALL the given steps on the website and I ended up I think deleting windows, cant choose it on boot, so I was downloading a windows rom but I ran out of space, I think because it told me to clear trash files so I did and then a bit later it failed, I don't know whats wrong but how would I go about installing both windows and kali, like do I delete kali and bootloader and go to Windows then repeat or do I have Windows but hidden, idk im new to this

GParted:

/dev /sda1 ext4 Mount point is / 9.31GB is size 16.2Mib unused And it is for boot

/dev/sda2 extended Size 102.48Gib Used -- Unused -- No flags
    (Its drop down so when dropped down)

/dev /sda5 linux-swap 4.13GIB used -- unused --

/dev/sda6 ext4 /home as mount point size 98.35GIB Used 1.73GIB UNused 96.62

Any help at all is appreciated as this is my ONLY laptop

As i can see from your gparted table, you have deleted your Windows partition. If i were you, i'd boot kali live, resize the partition, reinstall Windows on a primary partition and then reinstall Kali. In this mode, kali grub will identify your Windows OS, and let you able to boot it. If i can make a suggestion, i'd create these partition:

1) /dev/sda1: Data partition (for both system) --> NTFS, 40 GB;
    2) /dev/sda2: Windows Partition --> NTFS 50 GB
    3) /dev/sda3: Kali Partition --> ext4, 30 GB;
    4) /dev/sda4: Swap area: 3 GB

The amount of each partition is up to you (mine is just a suggestion), and they're made for your storage (if i'm not wrong, your HDD is 120 GB, as i can see from what you've written). Anyway, if you want to be sure if your Windows is deleted or not, type:
    # os-prober
    on a terminal (this will list your installed OSes). If windows is not listed, that means that it's not installed. If listed, type:
    # grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
    # grub-install /dev/sda
    and then
    # update-grub

I know that maybe i've been too long, but you said that you're new to this, so I've tried to help you as much as i can
    Last edited by Corsov; 2015-06-09 at 19:28.