Thread: Dualbooting with Windows 8.1 issue.

Dualbooting with Windows 8.1 issue.

I'll keep it short. I've been trying to install linux kali 64bit alongside my Windows 8.1 for the last 6 hours and I'm very close to giving up.
    I have no idea what I'm doing wrong.
    Here's what I've been doing:
    1. Downloaded original linux image off the website.
    2. Extracted contents and copied them into a plain USB drive.
    3. Opened up Windows PC settings and set to 'Advanced Startup'.
    4. In the advanced startup options, I chose 'Boot from EFI USB' (or something along those lines).
    5. A black screen appeared, followed by a lenovo loading screen.
    6. Error message: "System doesn't have a boot from USB option".

I restarted the laptop again, went into the BIOS by pressing F2 and checked to see if Boot from USB was enabled or not and it was enabled.

Should I change the mode from UEFI to legacy? Because I've heard that can ruin my Windows 8 installation.

Not sure what I'm doing wrong, hoping someone can clear this up.

If you don't know that you have to burn an iso instead of copying it, then you shouldn't be using Kali in the first place.

I am having a similar issue here... I have an ASUS laptop and would like to be able to dual boot into Kali. I downloaded the lastest version last night and was up all night with no luck. I burned the iso to a CD/DVD and had to change secure boot and what not from the bios to even be able to boot into the CD. Here is where I think everything goes wrong. When I get the option to boot through my live CD, two options actually come up. The first is UEFI CD..... and the Second is P2 CD..... Naturally I chose the first one to start and nothing boots at all, just sits on a black screen. So I then try the second one and low and behold the everything loads correctly and am able to run off of the live cd. I then install Kali on a partitioned part of the the hard drive (150GB allocated through Windows Disk Management) The install all seems to run normal no problems even recognizes another OS and ask to put beside to be able to dual boot. Once install is completed and go back to BIOS then only windows option there, and no option and no way to boot into linux at all. Has anyone been able to dual boot with a newer laptop, as with desktop you could just have to different hard drives making this a lot easier, but unfortunately that is not an option for me.

First open system info(Google or ask for howto) verity current setup.

Change bios to legacy and disable secure boot. Lastly change boot device order.

Can also try:
    +doing advanced startup under pc settings

On hard boot(before logo for hp, asus, etc.) Hold down left-shift on boot up just like you were going into bios. Should load up boot settings via windows.

Quote Originally Posted by LiamWilson View Post
    If you don't know that you have to burn an iso instead of copying it, then you shouldn't be using Kali in the first place.
    Just FYI he said USB. Ot any type of cd/dvd.

And if more help or advice ask I'll be watching thread for you. Problem only effects(widows stuff) windows 8.1 devices.

Used my hp Pavillion with win 8.1 64x to dual /trip boot so going by past experience here.

Quote Originally Posted by LiamWilson View Post
    LOL..... ehemmm.. I mean be nice....