Thread: General questions on how to install the kali tools on other distros

General questions on how to install the kali tools on other distros

Hello guys,

I started with backtrack 1 - 5, then a few years quiet after that I found out they released kali and I wanted back in the game, so I am fairly new with the pentesting OS'es and new with linux in general as I grew up with windows and I know the environment I am working with. That said, as of lately I am picking up pentesting with the eWPT v2 course so I thought what the heck I make the switch to linux atleast for my laptop I knew backtrack was fully setup for the tools and everything preinstalled works like a charm out of the box no additional libs needed everything runs without errors etc.
    But I do not like how it looks, and for me it seems that with Ubuntu I atleast know were to start looking for installed programs and how to install them even though Ubuntu is the user friendly linux distro.

So to put an end to my awful long prequel above, I need to use alot of pentest tools BUT perhaps more importantly I need to customise it so that it feels ok so that I can work more effectively.

The things I tried and failed with are installing xubuntu then added the kali repos to sources.list, that was succesful therefor I am coming here but afterwards there were tools that I couldnt install due to missing **** like libs, packages whatever.
    I was also forced to install kali multiple times cause after the install and or upgrade he doesnt want to bootup I get black screen or as soon as it leaves the bios flash screen that computer logo at startup it gives me error messages that I cant understand and I understand when the computer doesnt recognize the right hdd or grub isnt configurred properly.

So Kali itself brings alot of pain along the way, tho I recognize its the best pentest os out there.

So if you are still reading thanks alot the pain will go away, as I come to the end. I would like to know a guide that follows installing everything that kali has and I purely mean the pentest tools or tools associated with it like freemind. And it has to include that at the end of it the additional libs, packages etc. are also installed so that everything works like a charm.

Thanks for reading and I hope you can help me.

Renegade.
    Last edited by g0tmi1k; 2015-07-02 at 10:34. Reason: Swearing

This isn't supported. Including:
    + Mixing other repos on kali.
    + Mixing kalis repos on other OSs

There are various posts on this already - both asking how todo what you just asked, as we well 'help, ive just messed up' by doing what you asked.

How kali works - you can't do it. End of.
    You may not break your OS straight away - but you WILL one day.

Rather than swearing and making general statements with why kali doesn't boot, its better to give the exact error messages (even if you don't understand them) + things you have tried as then someone might be able to fix your issue(s)...
    Without knowing the details/exact issue - no-one can help and your better off using a virtual machine (its also how I use Kali - and a lot of other people ).
    Last edited by g0tmi1k; 2015-07-02 at 10:43.
    This is a Kali-Linux support forum - not general IT/infosec help.

Useful Commands: OS, Networking, Hardware, Wi-Fi
    Troubleshooting: Kali-Linux Installation, Repository, Wi-Fi Cards (Official Docs)
    Hardware: Recommended 802.11 Wireless Cards

Documentation: http://docs.kali.org/ (Offline PDF version)
    Bugs Reporting & Tool Requests: https://bugs.kali.org/
    Kali Tool List, Versions & Man Pages: https://tools.kali.org/