Thread: Booting with GRUB boot loader installed

Booting with GRUB boot loader installed

Hi, I've successfully installed kali on an external ssd, but the GRUB boot loader seems to take over no matter which drive I choose to boot from on the boot menu of my BIOS. After i select the hard drive where my windows is installed and not the ssd with kali installed, the GRUB boot loader menu pops up asking me what operating system to boot from. I've booted windows fine doing this, but I want windows to just boot when I select the hard drive with windows. I thought I installed everything separately when I installed kali on the external ssd, is there a way to disable the GRUB boot loader for my hard drive?

I'm having the exact opposite problem you are. GRUB refuses to show up in boot options, or have a menu show up whenever I boot (which is what I want). I want your problem. If I had to suggest a fix you should get into your UEFI firmware and see if GRUB is listed in the boot options then move the Windows boot loader above it. Then Windows should take priority.

My problem is that after I've installed Kali on a seperate partition, GRUB won't show up anywhere and I can't figure out how to boot the new Kali.

Same Problem

Quote Originally Posted by mjorden00 View Post
    I'm having the exact opposite problem you are. GRUB refuses to show up in boot options, or have a menu show up whenever I boot (which is what I want). I want your problem. If I had to suggest a fix you should get into your UEFI firmware and see if GRUB is listed in the boot options then move the Windows boot loader above it. Then Windows should take priority.

My problem is that after I've installed Kali on a seperate partition, GRUB won't show up anywhere and I can't figure out how to boot the new Kali.
    Mjorden, I'm right there with you. I've tried a hundred ways, manual and guided in different partitions, and I can't get the kali partition to boot and no grub appears. Easy BCD doesn't find the install and Kali doesn't see Win7 during its installation either.