Thread: USB Persistence

USB Persistence

What exactly does USB persistence mean? I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or if the USB persistence is not working.

So far I have have followed the instructions to put the 64bit (kali-linux-1.1.0a-amd64.iso) on to a USB drive but it's working as expected. I went into the persistence boot option and created the mount dir and mounted the newly created /dev/sdb3 partition and created the persistence.conf file. When I reboot the setting I change are set back to "default" and even the dir I created for the mount point is gone.

Am I missing something or is this just not working? Are they steps I need to take on each reboot to protect such changes?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I just completed this task too. It seems that you have to log in all the time as usb live persistence option. And not only that but you have to save all the files in the Persistence partition/drive that is on the desktop. I tried saving files on the desktop and such but no luck.. Every time i reboot they do not get saved. Also i added another account and it wont save it.. sooo I guess you and I are somewhat on the same boat bud..... lets keep this thread going and see if we can fix this issue ....

I agree on fixing the issue. As a test I installed the 32bit version and got different results, or so I think. Tomorrow I will reinstall the 64bit version again using what I have learned (too late, too tired). I was able to get my desktop to hold items over boots. I see now I have a mount point for /dev/sdb3 mounted at /lib/live/mount/persistence/sdb3 which is syncing. So until I can go back in and do more testing with the 64bit version I'll assume it's an issue with that image. Tomorrow night I'll load that back up and do more testing.

One thing that I noticed on the 64bit version is it seems that during the boot process I'm getting errors setting the persistence on /dev/sdb3. I thought that was the issue, however, I'm getting the "same" errors on the 32bit version but it seems to be working. I can't seem to find those events in any of the logs, so I wasn't able to follow up on that to see if they were different. Any help in finding that would help. I saw other boot events, just not the persistence errors.

OK, so I guess I had a problem between the keyboard and the chair. I went back and followed the instructions again on the 64bit setup and it worked like it was supposed to. I'm still getting the '/live/persistence/sdb failed' errors on boot but everything is working. The one thing I think that might have caused the issue that I know I didn't do before was not creating the persistence label on the partition.