Thread: 4 Way Handshake Contains No Data

4 Way Handshake Contains No Data

I have a handshake but according to two programmes that I use
    to crack these files - Elcomsoft and Passware the handshakes contain
    no data.

Is it still possible to crack a handshake without data included in the file?

I have never attempted to do this on a handshake that doesn't contain data!

Rab.

We have seen cases wherein aircrack-ng says the handshake is valid but Elcomsoft does not validate the handshake but will test the handshake. In several cases like this Elcomsoft actually cracked the WPA key. We will run brute force attacks against numeric strings 8 to 10 in length in such cases ONLY as you never know if you did not get the WPA key because the handshake was invalid or not. We prefer to just try and collect another handshake.

You might try wpaclean and see if elcomsoft accepts the handshake after that. If it does you can then throw as much time as you wish at the handshake.

Musket Teams

Quote Originally Posted by mmusket33 View Post
    We have seen cases wherein aircrack-ng says the handshake is valid but Elcomsoft does not validate the handshake but will test the handshake. In several cases like this Elcomsoft actually cracked the WPA key. We will run brute force attacks against numeric strings 8 to 10 in length in such cases ONLY as you never know if you did not get the WPA key because the handshake was invalid or not. We prefer to just try and collect another handshake.

You might try wpaclean and see if elcomsoft accepts the handshake after that. If it does you can then throw as much time as you wish at the handshake.

Musket Teams
    Thanks for confirming my suspicions - I agree - I would rather do another capture than waste time on a handshake
    that may or may not contain the WPA key.

Better to be safe than sorry.

Rab.