Thread: Kali Linux VBox awus036ac driver installation

Kali Linux VBox awus036ac driver installation

As per title. I have Kali installed on VirtualBox and having trouble to get my awus036ac to run. Vbox recongises it but doesnt come up in ifconfig/iwconfig.

I followed this guide http://hackthistv.com/blog/alfa-awus...ers-for-linux/ but terminal returns error.

root@kal:~/Desktop/rtl8812au-linux# make
    make ARCH= CROSS_COMPILE= -C M=/root/Desktop/rtl8812au-linux modules
    make: *** M=/root/Desktop/rtl8812au-linux: No such file or directory. Stop.
    make: *** [modules] Error 2
    root@kal:~/Desktop/rtl8812au-linux#

Burnt a few hours trying to figure out why Kali wasn't working with my AWUS036ac out of the box ... and a few more trying to install the drivers once I determined that was the issue.

Here is what worked for me: http://askubuntu.com/a/573741

BUT ... when I tried to apt-get the Kernel headers necessary to run "make", I kept getting all kinds of errors. Finally, I found this post and updated my "sources.list" to include the additional URLs in the "UPDATED" portion of the post. I then was able to run "sudo apt-get install linux-headers-$(uname -r)" successfully. Once that was working, I went back to the instructions in the askubuntu.com link above and voila ... lights are flashing and Kali is seeing the adapter.

Hopefully that helps. If it works for you, let me know. Its a real PITA trying to figure these problems out and would be good to know its not just working for me because of some fluke

BTW, if anyone knows a reason why I shouldn't update the sources.list file as per that article, I'd like to know why. Perhaps, I don't really need all these URLs???

Anyhow, good luck.