Thread: AWUS052NH - wireless usb

AWUS052NH - wireless usb

Before buying this card (note 052NH) there wasn't a lot of info on what this card could do on the forum, so I thought I'd leave a post for future Kali users shopping for a card. I have read that the 052NH was hyped for years and missed a ton of release deadlines, until some time late last year, they finally did release it.

For me, it was PnP with Kali 1.1.0 persistent usb. I ordered from Rokland store, and it came with a 2-USB-to-1-mini Y-splitter, which you'll probably need to get close to the 1000mw the card is capable of. I was previously using the TP Link WN722N and have used an older (b/g) 036NHA for years.

The 052NH has a RT3572 chipset, but seems to work fine. It picks up the same number of APs as the WN722N, but shows them at a stronger signal, which suggests that it would pickup more APs if I didn't live in dense residential area.

The main benefit is that the 052NH is dual-band, which allows operation in 2.4 and 5 ghz channels on routers that support it. On a home test, it got much better data rates and speed serving up an mitm via arp spoofing. At around 30-40 feet from router/client, pages loaded smoothly with very little lag.

I haven't had a chance to test clients on an evil AP with upstream yet, but I did fire it up to make sure it supported master mode with no problems.

I have read that the 052NH works well with Reaver, but I've only tried it once against my Arris router with the t6 reaver, and it found the master pin, but couldn't associate to check and return the key.

TL;DR: 052NH should be plug-n-play for kali users, a little pricey, is a little better than 722N in range, but supports greater power output and speed, making it a good option for mitm and fake ap attacks.
    Last edited by scribble; 2015-07-28 at 20:08. Reason: Kali version 1.1.0

hey scribble,

You made ​​me want to buy it so I just bought it on amazon. My old AWSU036H was beginning to died so time for a change!

Quote Originally Posted by plask View Post
    hey scribble,

You made ​​me want to buy it so I just bought it on amazon. My old AWSU036H was beginning to died so time for a change!
    I was afraid I'd get flamed for sounding like an advertisement, but it's not a bad card. The 2-to-1 Y also helps. I threw in a usb amplifier b/c it was cheap, but I'm not convinced it does anything. The 052NH is definitely not the cheapest option. I've read a few wise posts saying a pentester should have a few different cards for various jobs.

So does the AWUS052NH card work perfectly with Kali and is capable of Evil AP and all of the rest? Could someone confirm that?

Thanks

Hi, I am sorry for my bad English. I bought the awus052nh. I am use Kali Linux 64 bit 2016.1. I have a 64 bit cpu. The Reaver gives the following error:
    "Failed to associate with xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx (ESSID: xxx)
    Failed to associate with xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx (ESSID: xxx)
    CTRL+C "

I use this commands:
    "airmon-ng start wlan0
    wash -i wlan0mon -C
    reaver -i wlan0mon -b (Modem MAC No) -c (Channel) -vv
    Failed to associate with xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx (ESSID: xxx)"

I tried many commands as follows.
    " https://code.google.com/archive/p/reaver-wps/issues/183 "

How you are running the Reaver? Thanks.

I've used the AWUS036H before. It was broken. I bought 052nh yet. The Reaver was worked with 036h. But I could not run with awus052nh.

Hello.
    It seems with adapter Alfa AWUS052NH it was a bug, "Regression to the monitoring mode, some cards with Ralink Linux 4.3 of Kali 2016.1", both written here https://bugs.kali.org/view.php?id=3014. So is it written that eliminated him in the Linux 4.3 of Kali 2016.2. Real user confirmation of the normal operation of the adapter with a new version of Linux is not seen.
    And here it seems to write about a patch for this issue http://marc.info/?l=linux-wireless&m...1668331789&w=2

the RT3572 is a good chipset but doesn't work properly with reaver, that the only default.
    Otherwise it is a very interesting USB with MIMO 2T2R through a single antenna.... very good if you have a directional antenna, probably one of the best option on the market.
    Have fun with it!

Does anyone know if this issue with AWUS052NH/RT3572 and reaver was indeed fixed either with a patch or as part of Kali 2016.2?

No it isn't.
    Bully works better with this chipset (with all chipsets that use rt2800usb driver) .