Thread: Kali Linux as OS on non-root

Kali Linux as OS on non-root

Hello Guys,

I am new to Kali Community, and I am really excite to be part of it.

I have read lots of Topics mentioning that Kali Linux should not be used as main operating system on PC. And I was always missing information on WHY-NOT.
    Ussually, people were saying "It is designed a PenTest Tool and not OS", but for me this answer is only answering question "What is Kali Linux designed for?" and not "Why cannot I used Kali Linux as main OS?".

So here I am asking you guys, what are your opinions on WHY-NOT.

There are in general two scenarions: root and non-root usage.

For root user I understand the reason is, it is dangerous. But in what scenario I ask ?
    • I can destroy my system ?
    • I can get exploited if trying out Security Tools ?

For the first one.. I would assume that you can destroy your System in any Linux Distro if you go to "deep" and don't know what to do. And for the second one..well how else would you use SecTools ? Only with Live USB?

For the non-root user, this one I do not see why it is dangerous or not good. Because creating a non-root user means that you won't use Security Tools provided by Kali Linux... so why is this bad / dangerous / not good ?
    Simply because you could use other Distro that is more user-friendly ? If that is the only reason, I think we cannot generalize the answer to "NO you cannot use Kali Linux as main OS, even with non-root user!"

Well I'm open to any opinion, just wanted to make a more specific discussion on WHY-NOT, because we all know Kali Linux is designed for Security Tools, but some of us fell in love with it while using it and do not want to switch to other Distro, but rather use a non-root user for everyday usage.

Cheers,
    Cyghost

Hi man!

So, its not a prohibition, its a recommendation.
    Normally, a lots of guys new in Linux try to use Kali and try to use Kali as Desktop, Kali not is for beginners in Linux.
    Kali was not developed to games or to has office tools for example.

If you are new in linux, why you need hacking tools? Just to say to your friends: "Now I'm a hacker"?

If you have enough knowledge to transform Kali in a Desktop distro, ok do that, but remember, you dont have support for that!
    Take a look in this post: http://docs.kali.org/introduction/sh...use-kali-linux maybe you found some replies.

Chrash,
    Thanks for the reply.

I would say I am not new to Linux, but I am quite new in PenTesting, that is why I picked Kali, because it offers me some already pre-installed Tools for Security Testing.
    Of course i do not consider Kali for gaming or some photoshops or things like that.

But my question would then be: Do I endanger myself (security-wise, system-wise) if I create a non-root user and use that one to Browser the web (type on Forums, log-in to Facebook / Twitter, use it for downloads,..) ?
    So basically, everyday Web-browsing activities - but defineatly not for gaming, photoshop, music editing,...

Cheers,
    Cyghost

Hi man!

I just say about new users, for someone new Linux reading this post.

Yeah you can use easly for that.

The problem is:

If you use for normal things, daily internet navigation and stuff you need(examples):

Install Flash Player, enable cookies, enable javascript, install some others plugins etc, and you as pentester knows that its not safe! (:

How I said before, its only a recommendation and if you have enough knowledge to keep you safe, of course you can use as Desktop.

Hi Crash,

So are you saying that because you need to enable cookies, install flash player, enable javascript, install plugins/extensions etc for daily activities, will these actions harm your pc if you are using Kali as main OS MORE than if you performed the same activities (install flash/plugins, enable javascript) using lets say Ubuntu?

I think the harm will be the same regardless of the OS you are using.

I would even go as far as to say an Ubuntu installation might even be much more safer if the user takes better safety precautions than a Kali OS user who doesn't take any precautions.

What I'm trying to say basically is I believe as long as you are security conscious about what activities you undertake within Kali OS such as using a non-root account for regular activities and only switching to root or using the su command when pen-testing, that shouldn't be much of a problem especially when ur regular activities are mainly surfing the web, reading and creating docs pdf files, watching and listening to music etc.

A lot of Linux users ive noticed have the habit of making it seem like a total abomination to even think about using Kali as a main OS, especially if the main motive for doing so is to delve deep into pen-testing and familiarize yourself with the tools without having to constantly be switching back and forth from either a dual-boot, or a usb/cd live installation.

Just some of my thoughts on the matter

Hi rmx!

Yeah man, you right, how I said: its only a recommendation and if you have enough knowledge to keep yourself safe, of course you can use as Desktop.

The way I see it if you use kali for anything other then pentesting you would most probably install other software, installing other software from sources other than the kali repo's might cause conflicts with the pentesting tools.
    If you use kali as a root-user and your main os you're leaving yourself open to being exploited/hijacked, its easier to exploit/hijack a system with root access/permission.

First of all i must say that Kali is a REAL beauty, and i like to work with it. It is something i can identify myself with and its not because i'm the big hacker^^
    Everything looks solid made, functional, a bit insidious and yes, state of the art.. very good work guys!
    But besides it is nothing more then a tool. I have installations on PC (Live USB, Dualboot), VM (Windows-, OSX-Hosts, HyperVi) RaspberryPi2 and yesterday i installed the OSX Bootloader to Dualboot

So if you dont like any of these possibilities or uses you better take care of your beauty and sudo
    Otherwise take that tough *** and bring terror and destruction to your neighbors, and so on

Edit:
    Swearing
    Last edited by g0tmi1k; 2015-10-21 at 08:52. Reason: Swearing