Thread: Kali os-prober doesn't detect Windows 10

Kali os-prober doesn't detect Windows 10

I had a dual boot with Windows 7 and Kali, using grub to boot.
    I installed Windows 10 along side the other two OS's.
    After that I restored the grub loader.
    Booted in Kali and the usual 'os-prober' and 'update-grub'. But only Windos 7 is detected and added to grub.cfg.

I tried manually adding Windows 10 entry to grub.cfg but when I try to boot it through grub I get 'NTLDR is Missing'.
    I tried adding entry to /etc/grub.d/40_custom but again 'NTLDR is Missing'.

Now that only Windows 7 is detected and added I used EasyBCD under Windows to add Windows 10 to the Windows boot loader.
    And now I have to choose two times. Once in grub I choose Windows 7 and that presents me with the Windows loader where I have to choose again between Windows 7 and Windows 10.

Is GRUB not detecting Windows 10 something temporary until someone releases a new version of grub or the problem is with me?

In my opinion it is normal because windows 7 and 10 share same loader and grub see only one entry not two, and from that point you can chose which windows you want to boot.
    something like "widows grub" under grub
    and congrats how you configure your system

Yesterday I had a problem. When I tried to boot into Windows 7 I got a BSOD.
    Fortunately I had a backup of my Win7 volume.
    I cloned it but this time another problem arose. By using easyBCD I added the Windows 10 drive to the boot loader.
    When I tried to boot Windows 10 I got error:

Code:
    Digital signature of winload.exe could not be verified
    0xc0000428

Of course the first thing was to use Installation volume to repair. The startup repair was unsuccessful.
    I found different advice on the net and I tried one:
    Code:
    bootrec /fixMBR
    bootrec /fixBoot
    bootrec /rebuildBcd
    The result was BSOD for Win7 and again 0xc0000428 for Win10.

The I used Win7 instalation disk to try to repair at least Win7. This time during loading of the disk files I got BSOD.
    And accidentaly I read somewhere that Windows 7 need only 2Gb of ram during installation or something like that. I removed on of the sticks (I have 4gb and 2 gb on my laptop) and managed to load the DVD. After that it performed some repairs with no result.
    I had to redo the bootrec commands from before. And finally safely booted Win7.

After more intense search I found the solution to revive Win10.
    It appears that during installation of Win10 as a second OS, it creates a hidden Boot folder in C:\ of the first OS.
    The restored Win7 volume was from before I install Win10 so obviously this folder was missing.
    And I found the solution for winload.exe error 0x0000428:
    (the following commands in cmd)

Code:
    cd /d f:\windows\system32

bcdboot f:\windows /s c:
    This thing copies the Boot folder in c: from the other volume where Win10 is already installed.
    I tried these commands under Win7 but Win10's bcdboot won't run under Win7.
    I had to reboot and use Win10 installation Usb or DVD and use its command prompt.
    It worked. Win10 loader was restored. But I don't like it. So I used EasyBCD to restore Win7 loader with the two OS's etries there.

Fianlly restored Grub. Again detecting Win7 only. Maybe because it is the only loader indeed. Just having two entries in it.