Thread: Hard disk install or USB install?

Hard disk install or USB install?

ive tried searching this question for the last couple days and cannot find an answer so if someone could please help that would be great! Im trying to decide if the hard disk install is a better route or using kali live off of my USB.
    Thankyou for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom231 View Post
    ive tried searching this question for the last couple days and cannot find an answer so if someone could please help that would be great! Im trying to decide if the hard disk install is a better route or using kali live off of my USB.
    Thankyou for the help!
    There isn't an "ideal" way to install and use Kali, it all depends on your needs as well as setup.

To give you a short example, if you want a perfectly clean environment every time and don't want to worry about leftovers and so on, you can just use a live USB with the default Kali or even a custom Kali ISO with your desired configuration.

If you do not need that and perhaps require a very large amount of disk space on your Kali as well as persistence of your changes than obviously you can go for a HDD install.

One other way to go about this is setting up Kali inside a virtual machine using VirtualBox / VMware / etc. This way you can keep certain changes and discard others using Snapshots.

Just note that these are just the things that came off the top of my head, I'm sure if you google around you will find more pros / cons for each approach and be able to make your decision.

Thankyou for the response! I've done allot of google but could never find what was more ideal. I think im going to go with the HDD install for the memory and persistence. If i choose the HDD, will it replace the windows 8 for good? ive read about the dual booting but ive also heard that some have lost their windows OS completely.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom231 View Post
    Thankyou for the response! I've done allot of google but could never find what was more ideal. I think im going to go with the HDD install for the memory and persistence. If i choose the HDD, will it replace the windows 8 for good? ive read about the dual booting but ive also heard that some have lost their windows OS completely.
    If you choose to install it on the hard drive containing your Windows installation, it will replace Windows and it will be lost. If you want to dual boot Windows and Kali, you can have a look at this howto: http://docs.kali.org/installation/du...i-with-windows