Thread: Kali Linux 2.0 your review

Exclamation Kali Linux 2.0 your review

ok so it's not out yet. I would like to know your review when it does on the 11th.

Till then, what are your expectations? Let me start...

Stability. Things have been anything but in the last couple of releases, at least it hasn't been for me.

Regardless cheers and thanks to the Devs, and let's roll ah!

EDIT: abit of reading doesn't hurt when dealing with a new OS. https://www.kali.org/releases/kali-linux-20-released/
    Last edited by Quest; 2015-08-12 at 15:13.
    Kali Linux USB Installation using LinuxLive USB Creator
    Howto Install HDD Kali on a USB Key
    Clean your laptop fan | basic knowledge

If you want stable, don't upgrade on day of release.
    This is true with ANY OS release.

There's always issues/bugs when people start to use on a wild range of hardware/setups/configs.

If you dont report the bugs, they will never get fixed. The key is reporting the bugs to the right people in the right place in the right way.
    If its kali core stuff - bug tracker. If its tool - contact the author. Always give as much information as you can (commands, errors, logs, verbose mode, hardware, setup). Aim todo lines/paragraphs rather than 5 words.
    This is a Kali-Linux support forum - not general IT/infosec help.

Useful Commands: OS, Networking, Hardware, Wi-Fi
    Troubleshooting: Kali-Linux Installation, Repository, Wi-Fi Cards (Official Docs)
    Hardware: Recommended 802.11 Wireless Cards

Documentation: http://docs.kali.org/ (Offline PDF version)
    Bugs Reporting & Tool Requests: https://bugs.kali.org/
    Kali Tool List, Versions & Man Pages: https://tools.kali.org/

will kali 2.0 be released at 12 midnight eastern time?

Troubleshooting: Kali-Linux Installation, Repository, Wi-Fi Cards (Official Docs)

Name Taken Guest
    Initial Impression -

I am happy Systemd is finally being used although I don't like the nearly a dozen unnecessary services being automatically started on boot up with half of them failing using the VirtualBox image. Icons for all the tools look nice but I'm not a fan of the decision to default to full GNOME 3 in the slightest.

I test it yesterday , and it looks very nice , it is almost the same this as changing from XP to windows 8 .
    However , i turned back to 1.1.0 Version gnome , because when i started to use it like i did in 1.1.0 , things were completly different .
    network-manager was changed to a different program .
    Service network-manager restart or stop does not work
    some tools i used in 1.1.0 were not available for download in the repository , i believe that to get that it is need to add the normal kali sources in sources.list to have access to those utils , like : chkconfig and others , but i didnt remember that and i decided to turn back to old school were i am use to .
    I also had an issue with aircrack , but is not a bug i believe .
    I started airmon on a device that was connected to internet , then got an error , then i try to disconnect the wifi from the menu and i was unable to do that , it showed always connected .
    Then was when i try "service network-manager stop" , well ... "not found" , i had to restart the system to get things right again .
    I also notice that Sana release activates by default almost everything that kali haves as tools , and my laptop is not so fast .
    I believe that most things could be tweaked for better performance in kali settings , but i was in a hurry because i needed to use kali today like i use to do "normal commands that everyone knows" , and i turned back .
    For someone that have no experience in Linux , and wants to start now , then the 2.0 version is the best option without any doubt .
    For me , i will wait 6 or 8 months until i start again on it for good .

Kali 1.x == Debian 7
    Kali 2.x == Debian 8
    With the release of Debian 8 there is now 'systemd' on the backend so don't expect services to be exactly the same.

I'm not sure what tools are 'missing' - either way - open a ticket on the bug tracker for them.

aircrack stuff - make sure to run 'airmon-ng check kill' before doing stuff (will have issues putting it into monitor mode otherwise).

If you dont like GNOME - either install another Desktop Manager or switch to Kali light ISO for XFCE (personal fav).
    Last edited by g0tmi1k; 2015-08-12 at 10:35.

dont upgrade to Kali 2 there a many problems. Example I can not turn my Alfa AWUS036H in monitor mode or if you try to install dualboot you get an error. DON'T upgrade wait 1 year.

The new interface is really stable and fast, but i'm having some issues with armitage that is not working.

Kali 1.x == Debian 7
    Kali 2.x == Debian 8
    With the release of Debian 8 there is now 'systemd' on the backend so don't expect services to be exactly the same.
    yes , of course . I did not read the changes between 1.1.0 and 2.0 before installing it ..

kali 1.x==linux
    kali 2.x==windows 8.x

Quote Originally Posted by Fakerium View Post
    The new interface is really stable and fast, but i'm having some issues with armitage that is not working.
    Quote Originally Posted by X0rCode View Post
    dont upgrade to Kali 2 there a many problems. Example I can not turn my Alfa AWUS036H in monitor mode or if you try to install dualboot you get an error. DON'T upgrade wait 1 year.
    You need to run
    Code:
    airmon-ng check kill
    before doing using monitor mode.
    If you skip doing it - it will make the monitor interface, but it will not be in the correct mode.

------

Quote Originally Posted by aetos View Post
    kali 1.x==linux
    kali 2.x==windows 8.x
    Why do you say this?
    Last edited by g0tmi1k; 2015-08-12 at 14:04.

I'm guessing that he means the new user interface is way better.

i mean kali 1.x== linux
    kali 2.x== windows 8
    and i gess kali 3.x== windows 10

yes but comparing Windows to Linux can be misinterpreted. Some dislike Windows others dislike Linux. It's like comparing your girlfriend to your dog, without specifying that you think they are both beautiful. You see the problem there? So you were (are) referring to a richer graphical user interface when comparing both OSs, yes?

same problem with armitage , never start ..

the service of metasploit not exist , the msf start without problems ...

in application menu when i use the keyboard arrows not scrolling and i must use the mouse ...

that for the time ...

thnx

the service of metasploit not exist
    https://www.kali.org/releases/kali-linux-20-released/

Metasploit Community / Pro no longer ships in Kali

At the request of Rapid7, we have removed the Metasploit Community / Pro package from Kali Linux and now host the open-source metasploit-framework package only. For all of you who require Community or Pro, you will now need to download it from Rapid7 and then register and submit your personal details in order to get a license. In addition, the Rapid7 team no longer maintains the Metasploit package in Kali, which has brought with it some substantial changes – we’ve moved to a “native” setup, where rather than bundling all the required software needed to run Metasploit in one big package, we use native dependencies within Kali to support the metasploit-framework package. This results in a faster, smoother work experience and easier integration with Metasploit dependencies. For more information about this, check out our Metasploit Framework in Kali documentation page.

Hello,
    I just tested this new version, and i am a little disapointed. The interface is great, that's a good point. The installation from scratch is like KL 1.0 and up no real problems. If you have KL 1.1 and want to update to 2.0, changing the sources.list (with the right repositories) and doing apt-get update and apt-get dist-upgrade is at the moment not a good solution, i tried on 2 laptop and got problems, mostly with the interface. So a full/clean installation is the best option.
    Now the applications : Beef is working (get a terminal error message but not relevant) fine. Wifite is working perfectly(aircrack-ng suite also), the --mac command is working and the monitor mode is now automatically enabled in wifite. Fern wifi is working. Reaverand Pixiewps work. Ettercap, Metasploit and Wireshark have no problems. Armitage doesn't work, it close after a while, i think this issue is known. Weevely is ok. Websploit is still present but not in the menu, you have to launch it with the terminal, in KL 1.1 he was in the menu, so why ?
    Proxychains, driftnet, macchanger are ok.
    The network manager is minimalist and unworthy for such a dristribution. For example, how to simply manage vpn, like in KL 1.1 (after bugfix) ??, i found a + (add) button to install a vpn file, but what kind of vpn file? CRT, key, opvpn...???
    I would like to have some explanations on how to install vpn in kali linux 2.0...
    Here is another (little) problem, I have some bash (script shell) files (macchanger, ifconfig and wlan commands for example) that i executes by right clicking, open -> execute in terminal in the popup menu, but in KL 2.0, this option is absent. I have to open the terminal, and execute the commands in it, one by one. Any idea ?

My feeling about this major distribution is mixed, splendid interface, most of the apps works, but there are omissions that prevent me to work with ease.

Nota: english is not my native language, so sorry for the mistakes.

The network manager is minimalist and unworthy for such a dristribution.

Thanks and welcome DigitalHack !

My feeling about this major distribution is mixed, splendid interface, most of the apps works, but there are omissions that prevent me to work with ease.

Thanks for the info DigitalHack

Appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalHack View Post
    Here is another (little) problem, I have some bash (script shell) files (macchanger, ifconfig and wlan commands for example) that i executes by right clicking, open -> execute in terminal in the popup menu, but in KL 2.0, this option is absent. I have to open the terminal, and execute the commands in it, one by one. Any idea ?
    This works for me: https://askubuntu.com/questions/1389...les-in-windows

Ensure your script begins with the correct hash-bang, e.g. #!/bin/bash

Then follow these steps:

Hit Alt+F2, type dconf-editor and hit Enter.

In dconfg-editor goto: org ➤ gnome ➤ nautilus ➤ preferences

Click on executable-text-activation and from drop down menu select:

launch: to launch scripts as programs.

OR

ask: to ask what to do via a dialog.

Close dconf-editor. Thats it!

*What is it about OS makers, including Microsoft, that have enormous problems with user interfaces?*

This is my review. Keep in mind that I only used 2.0 for a couple of hours and that I'm lost 95% of the time with anything Linux anyway, so take it with a grain/cup of salt. I may change my mind about all this.

- the interface is confusing. Nothing is clear. Not instinctive at all. Everything feels weird. Looks like a children playground and not like a Technician's interface. I'm all for a graphical interface, but not like that, where things float around like in a fairytale, with multicolored cartoonish icons. I was expecting Barny to popup anytime, which terrorized me. I understand that it is only a 'skin' and can be changed but out of the box like that is u n a c c e p t a b l e. I spent most of my evening correcting stuff just to make it workable, and I'm not done. So abit discouraged right now.

Anyways thanks to the Devs. I don't even want to think how many hours they've put into this for us all. Cheers guys!

Hello g0tmi1k,

The procedure you describe work, so thank you for the tips, it's helpfull. By the way Armitage is now working after doing an apt-get update / apt-get upgrade and initializing the msf database (msfdb init in terminal). Very good point !

Now i'm looking for enabling VPN.

Quote Originally Posted by Quest View Post
    *What is it about OS makers, including Microsoft, that have enormous problems with user interfaces?*

This is my review. Keep in mind that I only used 2.0 for a couple of hours and that I'm lost 95% of the time with anything Linux anyway, so take it with a grain/cup of salt. I may change my mind about all this.

- the interface is confusing. Nothing is clear. Not instinctive at all. Everything feels weird. Looks like a children playground and not like a Technician's interface. I'm all for a graphical interface, but not like that, where things float around like in a fairytale, with multicolored cartoonish icons. I was expecting Barny to popup anytime, which terrorized me. I understand that it is only a 'skin' and can be changed but out of the box like that is u n a c c e p t a b l e. I spent most of my evening correcting stuff just to make it workable, and I'm not done. So abit discouraged right now.

Anyways thanks to the Devs. I don't even want to think how many hours they've put into this for us all. Cheers guys!
    I totally agree with you my friend,, but I'm afraid to say!!!

well like g0tmi1k rightfully noted about tickets and reporting bugs, if we don't inform the Devs, they will not know. I have my own colorful style of posting, I'm sure someone else can find a more pertinent way to communicate what we see.

And my review:

I am very sad, we had an exceptional operating Linux system and lost it!!

Hello,

Thank's again g0tmi1k the procedure work and it's helpfull. Armitage work after updating and initializing the metasploit database (msfdb init). I have finally found how to manage VPN (*REMOVED*), you have to install network-manager-openvpn-gnome. The connection is ok (you are behind a VPN) but i have no icon (a secure icon form example) indicating that i'm connected. I will continue to search.

Edit:
    Youtube
    Last edited by g0tmi1k; 2015-10-21 at 08:41. Reason: Youtube

Is there a tool request thread?
    Watobo is not working (fxruby missing) and wineconsole (giving more options and colours than simple wine) is missing :-(

no that would be a ticket https://bugs.kali.org/my_view_page.php Open an account there, be as precise and clear as you possibly can, provide links, explain why, etc..

MTeams suggest you load kali 2.0 onto a persistent usb drive and not rely on it at present as your primary linux operating system. Eventually these teething problems will be sorted out. MTeams is keeping only one HD install of kali 2.0 functioning so we can work thru the problems.

I'm enjoying this release.

Keep in mind I'm already a fan of Debian 8 & I am using the MATE desktop environment (with Wicd (wicd-curses) for a network manager. I agree the default GNOME desktop is currently a little buggy (I get periodic system freezes of 5-10 seconds) but I think there is plenty of scope for improvement . As g0tmi1k mentioned, try XFCE (or MATE!) if you don't like the default.

Using MATE (v1.8 - hopefully v1.10 will be added to Debian Jessie ASAP) as I did with my Kali v1.x install I hardly notice the change except (for me) it is (so far) much more stable & I experience significant performance & battery life improvements on the Toshiba NB10 netbook I'm testing it with.

Thanks devs,

aG

could you post or point to a screenshot of the MATE desktop aG?

Quote Originally Posted by Quest View Post
    could you post or point to a screenshot of the MATE desktop aG?
    Hey Quest,

You can check out the MATE Desktop Environment project at: http://mate-desktop.org/

Version 1.10 has just been released although only v1.8 is currently supported via Kali 2.0's repositories (Debian Jessie). It's not big on superfluous eye candy which is fine for me as I spend most time in a terminal, but it is rocky steady & stable in my experience; especially as I use it on my little (underpowered) Toshiba NB10 netbook. The MATE community is nice & helpful too...

Here is a screenshot of my current desktop including MATE's Control Centre (settings manager):

Using Terminator (terminal emulator & wicd-curses [network manager]):

Let me know if I can be of any further help.

Cheers, aG
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by aGravity; 2015-08-24 at 08:21.