Thread: Kali 2.0 resolution on RPi model B & SSH access

Kali 2.0 resolution on RPi model B & SSH access

First question:
    I just downloaded the kali-2.0-rpi.img.xz image, dd'ed it to a SD card an managed to get Kali 2.0 running. However, the screen resolution is set to 640x480, with no other options available in the display manager (Application menu -> settings -> display). From another post on this forum I came across this page: http://elinux.org/RPiconfig#Which_va..._my_monitor.3F and tried editing the /boot/config.txt file, but the commands mentioned on that page to retrieve supported options (/opt/vc/bin/tvservice) aren't available, and randomly trying options (for resolution) doesn't help me. How can I set the resolution?

Second question:
    I tried SSH'ing into my RPi, but keep getting "Permission denied" when logging as root. All tutorials/info online seem to be for older versions of Kali when OpenSSH wasn't installed by default. What do I need to change to allow a remote login? *EDIT* ssh login for root was set to PermitRootLogin without-password, changing it to PermitRootLogin yes fixed my second problem

Everything else (wireless adapter, ...) seems to be working, so I can't wait to get started
    Last edited by julby; 2015-08-11 at 19:19. Reason: Partial answer

Quote Originally Posted by julby View Post
    First question:
    I just downloaded the kali-2.0-rpi.img.xz image, dd'ed it to a SD card an managed to get Kali 2.0 running. However, the screen resolution is set to 640x480, with no other options available in the display manager (Application menu -> settings -> display). From another post on this forum I came across this page: http://elinux.org/RPiconfig#Which_va..._my_monitor.3F and tried editing the /boot/config.txt file, but the commands mentioned on that page to retrieve supported options (/opt/vc/bin/tvservice) aren't available, and randomly trying options (for resolution) doesn't help me. How can I set the resolution?

Second question:
    I tried SSH'ing into my RPi, but keep getting "Permission denied" when logging as root. All tutorials/info online seem to be for older versions of Kali when OpenSSH wasn't installed by default. What do I need to change to allow a remote login? *EDIT* ssh login for root was set to PermitRootLogin without-password, changing it to PermitRootLogin yes fixed my second problem

Everything else (wireless adapter, ...) seems to be working, so I can't wait to get started
    try removing ssh (update-rc.d -f ssh remove) and adding it back (update-rc.d -f ssh defaults)

this worked for me.

I had to do the following;

remove all run levels of ssh;

update-rc.d -f ssh remove

then add ssh defaults to the run level;

update-rc.d -f ssh defaults

then do a config check;
    chkconfig ssh

this got things going for me..

Solved

Quote Originally Posted by tazdevil View Post
    I had to do the following;

remove all run levels of ssh;

update-rc.d -f ssh remove

then add ssh defaults to the run level;

update-rc.d -f ssh defaults

then do a config check;
    chkconfig ssh

this got things going for me..

I've got it sorted out.What happens is that the root volume is mounted read only by reason of a kernel boot option.

I did some fiddling, and this will do the trick:

boot, login as root.
    remount the root as writeable:
    mount -o,remount,rw

And lo and behold, x starts up. Login as root.
    On roots desktop, there's an icon for a 64MB filesystem. Doubleclick to mount and open it. It looks suspiciously like the /boot partition you' ve been trying to find.
    Using a terminal go to the directory (something like /media/root/foo/) and use vi or nano to edit cmdline.txt
    change ro to rw
    save, reboot. All is well now.

I screwed up: I gave a good answer to the wrong question. Sorry.
    Meanwhile, on a raspberry, resolution and frambebuffers etc are manipulated through a file called config.txt, which lives in the abovementioned /boot partition. Google it for all the options. I trimmed mine down, and all it reads is:

disable_overscan=1
    framebuffer_depth=32
    framebuffer_ignore_alpha=1
    arm_freq=1000
    core_freq=500
    sdram_freq=500
    over_voltage=2

Apply at own risk.