Thread: Installing Kali 2.0 VMware image in VMware Fusion issues (image grey'd out)

Installing Kali 2.0 VMware image in VMware Fusion issues (image grey'd out)

I've searched high and low both here, at VMware Fusion forums, and Google and have been unable to come up with any related answers so I'm hoping someone has seen the issue I'm having here. I'm trying to install Kali 2.0 as a new virtual machine using VMware fusion tech preview (I have a paid version of Fusion 7). My host machine is a Macbook Pro running OS X 10.11 (the latest beta). The OS X beta has been very stable for me to date.

A little more background. I had a previous VM of Kali 1.1 that was running like a champ and though I considered doing an upgrade to 2.0 on top of that I decided to delete that VM and start with a fresh install of Kali 2.0. I'm kicking myself now (though who knows if that would've gone well or not I suppose).

I downloaded the Kali 2.0 vmware image, created a new virtual machine in Fusion but when I go to go to "install from disk or image" the Kali-linux-2.0.0-vm-amd64.7z image is grey'd out and I can't use it for install. When creating my previous Kali VM I did not use the VMware ready image but rather used the ISO file so I have no experience with this. Obviously since the disk image is grey'd out I'm stuck and at a complete loss. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Apologies for the long winded post but I want to make sure I give as much info as possible.

Thanks in advance!

The "install from disk or image" option requires you to have an .ISO/.IMG file. This is why its not working for you

"Kali-linux-2.0.0-vm-amd64.7z" is a compressed pre-made VM. You need to extract it before you can import it too. (You can use something like 'the unarchiver' to do this).
    This is a Kali-Linux support forum - not general IT/infosec help.

Useful Commands: OS, Networking, Hardware, Wi-Fi
    Troubleshooting: Kali-Linux Installation, Repository, Wi-Fi Cards (Official Docs)
    Hardware: Recommended 802.11 Wireless Cards

Documentation: http://docs.kali.org/ (Offline PDF version)
    Bugs Reporting & Tool Requests: https://bugs.kali.org/
    Kali Tool List, Versions & Man Pages: https://tools.kali.org/

You need to extract it because its a vmware image. After you have extracted it just double click Kali-Linux-2.0.0-vm-amd64.vmx file it will add it into your VMWare and you can boot it up fromt there.

Warning: Don't use the minimum requirement as it because Kali 2.0 is high CPU & Memory usage, my recommendation set to 4 Core Processor with at least 4GB RAM others you can leave it as it is. Otherwise very laggy which can't do much with it.
    Also note that first bootup going to take sometime just be patience and wait until the login came up.

Thank you both for the quick responses. I'm a bit embarrassed having dropped the ball on this one but I suppose sometimes another set of "eyes" can help one see clearer. I created my Kali 1.0 vm using an ISO image and for whatever reason just assumed this would be the same. So much so I didn't even realize the ready made Vmware Kali 2.0 I downloaded was compressed, Oops! The new vm is up and running well. Thanks again.

Using multiple cores

Quote Originally Posted by seClusiO View Post

Warning: Don't use the minimum requirement as it because Kali 2.0 is high CPU & Memory usage, my recommendation set to 4 Core Processor with at least 4GB RAM others you can leave it as it is. Otherwise very laggy which can't do much with it.
    Also note that first bootup going to take sometime just be patience and wait until the login came up.
    Another VMware related question I couldn't find a decent answer for. In fact I found conflicting answers.

When creating a Kali vm using the ISO instead of the VMware ready install Fusion asks what Linux distro you're installing. It doesn't list Kali as an option. I know Kali is Debian but the options are from Debian 5-7. Is there a specific Debian version one should choose (besides 32 or 64 bit of course) for Kali 2.0? When I created my Kali 1.0 VMware in the past I chose Debian 5. Just curious if that's changed....or if it even matters. Thanks in advance for any insight!

Quote Originally Posted by tinfoil View Post
    Another VMware related question I couldn't find a decent answer for. In fact I found conflicting answers.

When creating a Kali vm using the ISO instead of the VMware ready install Fusion asks what Linux distro you're installing. It doesn't list Kali as an option. I know Kali is Debian but the options are from Debian 5-7. Is there a specific Debian version one should choose (besides 32 or 64 bit of course) for Kali 2.0? When I created my Kali 1.0 VMware in the past I chose Debian 5. Just curious if that's changed....or if it even matters. Thanks in advance for any insight!
    Kali 2.0 is new 4.0 kernel, now based on Debian Jessie (Debian 8.1 was released June 6th, 2015. Debian 8.0 was initially released on April 26th, 2015), https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/

32Bit or 64Bit depending which ISO you have downloaded, and if not mistaken if you download 64Bit there is possibility you encounter VT-x error which explained here http://www.howtogeek.com/213795/how-...uefi-firmware/